Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #1 
CTBettaLover

Fungus that makes bits of fin fall off?

Hello! My crowntail occassionally gets white fuzzy stuff stuck to his fins. It looks like fungus, possibly caused by thedried oak leaves i put in his water. I when I scooped him (gently) and put him in his little betta cup so I could change his water and remove the old leaf debri, I noticed a section of one of his rays that had the fuzzy stuff on it, fell off! Is this fungus eating him!? & How do I get rid of it?
CTBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #2 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBettaLover View Post
Hello! My crowntail occassionally gets white fuzzy stuff stuck to his fins. It looks like fungus, possibly caused by thedried oak leaves i put in his water. I when I scooped him (gently) and put him in his little betta cup so I could change his water and remove the old leaf debri, I noticed a section of one of his rays that had the fuzzy stuff on it, fell off! Is this fungus eating him!? & How do I get rid of it?
It sounds like he has Cotton Tail (not sure if it's the correct term but it's what I use; it's a bacterial infection basically) :)

However, luckily, it's treatable. Here, i'll direct you to some threads:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333

Have a read through these, when I first started out owning Betta's these helped me if I thought one was sick.. Keep them for future reference too :)

Here's what they say to do:

True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.

Good luck :)
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #3 
moonsand0wls

Also, what are your water levels (niRIte, niRATE, ammonia etc)? How often do you clean your tank?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 
CTBettaLover

well i change his water 50 % every day because hes in a qt with epsom salt & dried oak leaves. 100% once or twice a week to get rid of the old leaf debri. Thankyou for the link but idk if it is any of those diseases listed. i think it just sticks to him from the decaying leaves and then tries to live on him. but it always goes away when i do water changes.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #5 
moonsand0wls

Is is tail getting shorter?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #6 
CTBettaLover

Not the rays but the parts in between have been shrinking since I got him.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 
moonsand0wls

I still think it may be what I've mentioned... if you could get a picture it would help lol :)