Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #1 
tromboneplaya

new rescue....advice needed

I brought home a new betta today from petco....he's my first rescue betta (and before people jump all over me, yes, he is an actual rescue). I posted some pictures of his fins so you could all see his fin issues....looks kinda like fin rot. He is also having some major problems swimming....like when he tries he just kind of flails around and doesn't accomplish much. He's pretty much been spending all of his time floating at the top of the water. His tanks is 2.5 gallons with a heater. All I've done so far is put aquarium salt in his water...if anyone has anymore suggestions to help him that would be great!
Attached Images

tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #2 
Laki

Wow, that tank has a lot of bubbles. (I think there's something somewhere about bubbly tanks containing gas or something)
Congrats on the rescue! He definitely has rot.. How much salt did you put in? I would use 2 tsp/gallon for 10 days to start. There is medicine you can buy (Not betta/mele fix) but I prefer holistic approach first.

Keep that tank nice and clean until he gets better. Every second day clean 50%. It would help his swimming to add a tonne more plants as well. Like, a lot. You're not concerned with giving him too much "swimming" space since he's got to learn how first so pack that tank with plants. He can rest and hide on them.

Oh, the most important holistic tool a betta keeper can have a round is Indian Almond Leaves. You can buy hem on ebay for dirt cheap but in the meantime you can buy Tetra Blackwater extract. Bettas love blackwater environments and in turn, having a blackwater tank improves immune systems and scales and slime coat and prevent illness to a certain degree.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Lots of clean water for the fin rot. As for the swimming, hard to say. Have you fasted him for 2-3 days? Sometimes its the swim bladder & they just need to fast. That'd be my 1st step.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #4 
tromboneplaya

I put in about 2 tsp....I just started thanksgiving break so I'll have plenty of time to do daily changes for the next like 10 days. The bubbles on the tank are just because I had like just filled it up...they haven't had a chance to come off yet lol

I haven't even fed him yet since I just got him....I didn't think I would feed him tonight anyway. I'll definitely keep everyone up to date....I'm really worried about him...he doesn't act very good :(
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #5 
Laki

Clean your hand and arm and wipe all the bubbles off.
Hopefully he's okay!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

i usually get a turkey baster and blow them off
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 
tromboneplaya

the turkey baster sounds like a good idea....I actually just got one of those for my betta tanks lol
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #8 
Laki

Turkey baster for the win!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 
Gracie8890

Reminds me of crush! His swim bladder doesnt look too bad right now, si fasting should work. But if it doesnt you will need some epsom salt(can get at any drug store). Do a 100% water change to get out the aq salt then add 1 teaspoon per gallon of epsom salt and watch the magic happen! Lol. Cant wait to see how he turns out! Hes so pretty even now!
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #10 
happypappy

I was given a betta by the manager at Petsmart becuase he had swim bladder issues. I placed him in a 1 gal half=filled minibow for a while. He could ony float at the top so I made his bowl shallow, so he would not have to fight to hard to get to the bottom. Eventually he improved and is not totally upright! He also had this hump in his side that I see in yours. So maybe with time his swim bladder will get better. BUT, he does have some fin issues --I have had great luck treated this with just aquarium salt. It sometimes take a couple of weeks, but my lavendar halfmoon had shredded fins like your and with salt treatment is back 100%. Check out the rescue thread at "Show me your Rescues" in Betta photos.

Let me know if you have more questions .....
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote