Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #1 
asukabetta

A sad good bye

My little cousin came in today, she was really taken with my fish, she was very much in love with blueberry, (mainly because blue was chasing her finger lol) and my mother interjected by saying a comment like "Asuka has too many fish-- you can have him if you want."

My heart broke, sure I had a new betta gifted to me today, making a total of 4, but does that mean she had the right of giving away a betta which was MINE, and bought and cared for with MY MONEY. Plus I'm not a kid anymore, if I could move out of the house I would, however my part time doesn't make nearly enough.

Then my little cousin looked at me with these pleading eyes and I could only say yes... blueberry was my first betta :/

I warned them that he was sick, and recovering but my aunt and cousin did not care.

I gave my aunt and cousin an extensive course on betta care.And I think they will do a good job. They understood the responsibility. They apparently had goldfish in the past and still have their 20gallon tank in storage which they are going to take out just for blue. And buy neons, and plants...

Also they are my neighbors so I can visit blueberry whenever I want. So I will continue to treat him if he needs it. He's still my betta though.

It's sad though, even next door, I won't wake up and see him wiggle around for me Q_Q it's hard to say bye to a friend.

Last edited by asukabetta; 11-16-2012 at 12:38 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 
gemsbok

Aww. I'm sorry about that. Parents can be so ridiculous sometimes. At least you'll still be able to see him from time to time. :)
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

You should have a talk with your mother. It seems to me that she overstepped a boundary.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #4 
sunlight

I am glad he doing better but it kind of sad that you had to give him away:( At least it your cousin so you can check on him make sure the do right care for him. Well i also can see good side of it . May be they will love blue so much and take good care of him ,and rescue another one. So don't be sad.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #5 
Wendyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
You should have a talk with your mother. It seems to me that she overstepped a boundary.
This^ Especially if you are an adult. I think you should have also flat out refused considering how sick he's been. Maybe would have been better to take her to a store and let her pick one out for herself.

Go get him back, lol!
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #6 
Nothingness

you should just go and buy her a new betta of her own
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
you should just go and buy her a new betta of her own
that won't work. Its a whole family issue thing, it's not like if a friend or a family member said "Oh I would like a betta too" I don't know if I make sense but yeah it's complicated.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #8 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
This^ Especially if you are an adult. I think you should have also flat out refused considering how sick he's been. Maybe would have been better to take her to a store and let her pick one out for herself.

Go get him back, lol!
yeah :/ sadly my argument is not valid because I live under their roof, so it's their rules.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
yeah :/ sadly my argument is not valid because I live under their roof, so it's their rules.
I understand that. I am 26 and still live at "home". I am a graduate student, and all my money goes to pay for my degree or my animals. But, in the same respect, you do deserve respect as an adult (even children deserve respect, but in a difference way). If you have invested your time and finances into something it is yours, living under "someones roof" does not give them ownership. Now, if you snuck the fish in without your mothers approval then I can see her giving them away. But, if your mother knew about the fish then I see it as a violation of your property. At the same time, I understand that everyone has a different situation, and you must pick and choose your battles. Good luck with this. I feel for you!
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #10 
megaredize

Awe I'm so sorry and i agree you should talk to your mother. But at least you made your cousin very happy. And you can make sure he gets good care since they are your neighbours.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote