Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #1 
NVGail228

Angry When are these guys gonna get it right?

Was in a Walmart yesterday and checked out Tetra's 3g LED Cube Kit. It's a pretty good deal if you get it on line (still more than $30 at the store). Comes with a pretty good (and aftermarket replacements avail) LED although only white...no blue. On/off switch for light, separate light and filter cords (no joined transformer) feeding hole, clear lid, room for heater cords, etc. Even comes with a small air pump and a Whisper Tetra filter that can be easily converted from buy Tetra filters to use floss and sponge/biomedia.

I sound like I'm in sales....but here's the part that gets me. Right on the side of the box are their "Recommended fish options". And for coldwater fish (64-70 degrees) they list goldfish and....wait for it.....betta!

Sorry for ranting if this is old news. But if it is old news why don't they fix it?
NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

I actually dislike the LED tanks because they don't support CFLs which let my plants thrive. To be honest I believe that tank sellers shouldn't bother recommending what fish should/can live in their tank because they usually cause more harm than good. If you leave a person to research what can live in a 2 gallon tank you will find much less goldfish being sold than if there was a 2 gallon tank advertising goldfish on the box.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #3 
NVGail228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I actually dislike the LED tanks because they don't support CFLs which let my plants thrive. To be honest I believe that tank sellers shouldn't bother recommending what fish should/can live in their tank because they usually cause more harm than good. If you leave a person to research what can live in a 2 gallon tank you will find much less goldfish being sold than if there was a 2 gallon tank advertising goldfish on the box.
Is it possible for java or marimo moss to survive under LED?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #4 
ZergyMonster

I have medium light plants so I require the higher lights but I have heard that some low light plants can survive with LEDs. Frankly I don't know too much on what a quality plant growing LED entails.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #5 
NVGail228

Java and Marimo mosses under LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I have medium light plants so I require the higher lights but I have heard that some low light plants can survive with LEDs. Frankly I don't know too much on what a quality plant growing LED entails.
Anybody out there know?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGail228 View Post
Anybody out there know?
i know that anubias nanas can thrive in those Tetra Cubes....we've got two in our bedroom, and the anubias in them are doing wonderfully, even sprouting clone shoots off the leaf tips.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #7 
paloverde

While that cube is very cool, the stock lighting probably won"t work out for live plants. It might be able to keep java fern,java moss, and maybe some anubais alive maybe.
Led lights are the future and with that in mind I feel like i should be hording 6500k cfl"s.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #8 
RaptorX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGail228 View Post
Is it possible for java or marimo moss to survive under LED?
I have java fern, java moss, anubias, wisteria, and marimo moss balls all thriving very well in an LED aquarium. Wisteria is growing like crazy! I've had plants in that tank about 6 months now.

I have the same kind of plants in a CFL tank for over a month and they're also doing well. Don't think the wisteria is growing as much yet as in the other tank. Probably doesn't get as many nutrients with only one betta as opposed to a whole community.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #9 
NVGail228

Yippie! Five (small) tanks with only fake flowers. As $$ permits I see some upgrading coming in the future.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Some commercial agricultural concerns have been using LEDs for years now.

LED to enable agriculture 356 days a year in an urban setting | LEDinside
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote