Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #11 
TorukBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
Looks like tail biting that evolved into fin rot. Treat him with Aquarium salt and keep his water worm, preferably 78-80 degrees.
If he continues to tail bite, try to stimulate him by having him flare at a mirror.
Good luck! :)
Thank you so much! I am very worried for him. I'll go buy aquarium salt tomorrow!
TorukBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #12 
happypappy

I am not so sure about the biting. I am sure that filter intake and plastic plants can cause fin damage -- I have had that happen to my guys. My first choice of treatment is Aquarium salt. I have one now in recovery that is in a plain tank with nothing but silk plants. And is getting much better ---- He had a hole develop in his dorsal and an entire chuck of his dorsal fin came off. I see holes in yours -- so I would definitely get the plastic out and treat with AQ salt.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #13 
TorukBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypappy View Post
I am not so sure about the biting. I am sure that filter intake and plastic plants can cause fin damage -- I have had that happen to my guys. My first choice of treatment is Aquarium salt. I have one now in recovery that is in a plain tank with nothing but silk plants. And is getting much better ---- He had a hole develop in his dorsal and an entire chuck of his dorsal fin came off. I see holes in yours -- so I would definitely get the plastic out and treat with AQ salt.
Will do! Thank you so much.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #14 
TorukBetta

How do you actually apply the aquarium salt to the water?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #15 
happypappy

Be sure you have Aquarium salt ---- Not iodized table salt. The instructions are on the API box --I believer it is 1 rounded teaspoon per gallon. I put this in a separate container and mix it well ---- it takes! Then just pour it into the water with the betta. I have my panda in it now.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #16 
Mamawolf

I've never had a betta that bit his own tail, but since I'm in the process of treating 2 new bettas for fin and tail rot.... Yes, that's what yours has. My red fish arrived 3 weeks ago yesterday... I bought a red halfmoon and he looked like a crown. After the first week he was laying on the bottom and wouldn't even move to eat. When he did move, little pieces of his fins would break off. I headed straight for our local fish store and got some "Betta Revive". Within a couple hours he was swimming again. My blue fish's fins and tail started splitting right after the red started to "revive", so he's now under treatment too. They were bought from a reputable dealer... but he only guarantees live delivery... The "Betta Revive" prevents, controls, and treats Protozoan diseases, Bacterial diseases, and fungal diseases. I don't know what brand would be in your area, but look for something that will treat like this. My guys are like new fish after only two treatments.
Mamawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #17 
happypappy

Betarevive has some antibiotic --neomycin sulfate and some good for fungal --methly.blue. Both are commonly used to treat simple skin bacterial and fungal infections. It has some other additives. There is not one choice, I just like to know what is in the stuff I use!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #18 
TorukBetta

Thank you guys!
I really appreciate the help.