Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #91 
Wendyjo

Yep - it looks really good but I'd add more plants and hiding spots. And it may just be a depth perception thing in the pic, but the front of the tank looks a bit bare to me.

I have that same volcano bubbler and I've covered it in java fern so it looks more natural. You can just use super glue gel to attach rhizome plants such as java fern and anubias.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #92 
LebronTheBetta

That's good. :) The front isn't THAT bare, I could add more if needed though. Super glue is aquaria safe? I'd like some plants, but don't I need a 6500K light?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #93 
Wendyjo

Crap I had my reply typed out and then closed my browser before I posted it. Grrrrrrr.

OK - yes super glue gel is totally safe as it becomes inert in water. Just attach the plant (hold it for a minute so it sets well) and then let it sit until the glue is dry. Then hold it under a gentle flow from the tap for a minute. Then it's safe to go in the tank. Works much better than thread cause it never rots off.

I have some pics of java ferns attached this way in the Betta Housing forum in the "show pics of your heavily planted tanks" thread that is kinda far down the page by now.

I use low light plants and don't worry about my lighting. In my bettas tanks I use the little spiral bulbs that you can get almost anywhere these days, like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA
and in my larger tank I just have some old tube fixture that I bought 5 years ago and haven't even bothered to replace the bulb yet. I grow java fern, anubias, swords, sag and duckweed with no problems. The ferns and anubias are glued onto natural rocks, driftwood and store bought decor and that allows me to have plants at any height of the tank that I think will look good, which adds overall dimension and visual interest. And I have zero algae.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #94 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks so much Wendy! I'm going to add some more plants, I bought 2 Marimos. Expensive little things... Their names are Ben & Jerry. (-; The big one is Ben, smaller one is Jerry. Lol

The tank is nearing the cycle. Nitrates are here, ammonia is getting low, and nitrites aren't as bad. I might be getting the fish next week! YEAH BUDDY. Any name requests? I'm thinking of naming another one Alue after Balto. lol xD
Old 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #95 
registereduser

Gorgeous! What lucky little girls you will have!

I have a question about the sand, how long did you have to wash it before the water ran clear? Did you wash it in a bucket?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #96 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I never washed my sand I poured it in.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #97 
LebronTheBetta

Thank you, Registered.
Well... By nature, when it comes to animals, I tend to overdo things. The bag of sand was really big and my container to wash it in was so small. So I did it little by little. It took me 15 minutes to clean and put in each subset. It took me like 1 hour I guess. I washed it in a plastic container from a toy box set. Lol.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #98 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

When I poured it in some floated and sank.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #99 
teeneythebetta

It looks really good! The one spot that needs filled in most is right in front of the little rock cave thing on the right side. That looks like a pretty open area that will allow fighting between the girls. I'd get some plants/decor that are very tall that reach or almost reach the surface.
Cant wait to see it come together! :D
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #100 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks, TTB! The hard thing for that is that it will block the volcano. >.> I'm putting 2 moss balls there. Like that would help. I'm thinking of other plants, that's a first. Hm... It's almost done...

Did I post a picture of Winnie on this thread, yet? I don't know if I did.