Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #52671 
Silverfang

if he does you know what to rename him as
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #52672 
Sakura8

When I was on a desperate search for levamisole to treat camallanus worms, I discovered that many products with levamisole are now illegal or highly restricted because apparently it can be used in the making of meth AND apparently it has been traced back to an outbreak of flesh-eating disease in meth makers in NYC. HUH?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #52673 
Tikibirds

That is just...weird.
I don't think Bret is a meth maker. He's like 50 and is actually a registered nurse. Supposedly he had issues with his arm and though he got bit by a spider so he went to the DR. I know Brown Recluse spiders can do something with the flesh. When I worked at the grand canyon they would warn us about keeping the lights on in closets and stuff because they like dark places. However I don't think there are any in NY. Although John said he though he saw either a brown recluse or a black widow. I dont remember which but I was like dont they only live in the southwest?

I also saw recently on TV about a young girl that contacted flesh eatting bacteria via her paren't aquarium. She either had a cut or cut her hand on something in the tank

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-17-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #52674 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The virus incidant is really going to hurt aquariums reputation. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=13837034 http://www.theblaze.com/stories/teen...tank-bacteria/ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_881645.html

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 11-17-2012 at 08:20 AM.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #52675 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Awww Tiki he is cute!

I don't think it's a big deal that one person got sick from a fish. Being around any animal is a risk to your health.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #52676 
Sakura8

Typically, mycobacterium shouldn't eat the flesh. It's not a flesh-eating bacteria like vibrio but then . . . it's possible she contracted vibrio. I'm not sure. I thought the only zoonotic pathogen that could be contracted through open wounds via the aquarium was mycobacterium (aka fish tuberculosis). But vibrio bacteria is related to cholera and also to outbreaks of flesh-eating disease in saltwater fishermen and clam diggers.

Ooooh, brown recluse spiders are bad. I bet if he had an allergic reaction, it could cause something that resembled flesh-eating disease.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #52677 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It said that it was a rare severe case and usually only attacks the skin. If I remeber right my scolosis goes in the oposite of normal bend.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #52678 
Laki

Tiki, up north we have these spider whch mimic the appearance of recluse spiders. My old house was full of them (because it was over 100 years old and in a state of constant construction) and we have them here but Oliver keeps them in check. I think that's probably what you have.

Wow, poor girl. How did they trace her illness back to the tank from a scratch YEARS ago!!??!?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #52679 
Sakura8

Then it probably was still mycobacterium and on top of the usual reaction (which is just to have ulcers or sores on the hands), she most likely had an allergic reaction that made it worse. No worse than getting an infection from a dog or cat bite, really.

EDIT: We have a friend who got bit by a brown recluse while jogging in the park and didn't know it. Halfway through his mother-in-law's 70th birthday party, he had to go to the hospital.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #52680 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

She might lose her right hand that is severe.

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese