Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #1 
GoldenLeaf

Betta Food and Bloodworms

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if it would be ok to just feed my Betta Frozen Bloodworms? I have tried 2 different kids of pellets but he refuses to eat them and will only eat Frozen or Freeze-Dried bloodworms. I have also heard that flakes are no good for them. Thanks :)
GoldenLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #2 
shellieca

Some Bettas can be finicky & will try your patience. Blood worms of any variety are not meant to be their staple diet. Have you fasted him a few days & then fed the pellets? Have you crushed them up to see if he'd eat them? Have you tried soaking them for about 5 minutes? What brands are you trying?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #3 
SinX7

Try Omega One Buffet Pellets.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #4 
whatsupyall

New Life Spectrum works great too. You will need to train your betta to eat pellets. I am against feeding live food or frozen treats as it will spoil them and you will have to retrain them to eat pellets again (very hard to get them back on pellets). You basically need to wait him out until he eats. I know it's cruel, but it's better than him dying from improper diet.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

For a while I fed only frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp with vitamins I added via Vita-Chem and a touch of garlic juice. The fish looked great, and didn't seem to have any ill affects. In fact, my girl got ridiculously huge on this diet and now dwarfs my male who I did not have at the time but is much older than her.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #6 
GoldenLeaf

Hey guys,
Is just feeding Blood Worms really an improper diet? I have tried fasting him before but he got really sick so I felt bad and had to feed him something.
I have tried Aqueon Betta Food and another brand that I can't remember. I also crushed them into smaller bits and he still spit them out. The food just sat at the bottom so I removed it. I haven't tried soaking them so I can try to do that too.

I did buy him Top Fin Tropical Flakes and he is eating them. I was told that he could get all his nutrition from these, it's just messier. Is this true?

I can try to buy the suggested brands you guys mentioned.

Thanks everyone for responding :).
Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #7 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLeaf View Post
Hey guys,
Is just feeding Blood Worms really an improper diet? I have tried fasting him before but he got really sick so I felt bad and had to feed him something.
I have tried Aqueon Betta Food and another brand that I can't remember. I also crushed them into smaller bits and he still spit them out. The food just sat at the bottom so I removed it. I haven't tried soaking them so I can try to do that too.

I did buy him Top Fin Tropical Flakes and he is eating them. I was told that he could get all his nutrition from these, it's just messier. Is this true?

I can try to buy the suggested brands you guys mentioned.

Thanks everyone for responding :).
Bloodworms are like candy. If we eat just candy, we are robbing ourselves of a rounded diet. If we feed Bettas just bloodworms, we are robbing them of a rounded diet.
My girl isn't very fond of pellets, but she will eat Hagen Nutrafin Max Granules, they are small enough that she can eat them in one bite (my boy is still very small and it takes him a few times of spitting out, sucking back in, etc, to eat one). However, she LOVES flakes - her favorite are Hagen Nutrafin Max Flakes - they are very high quality (and expensive), and I feel they are nutritious enough to feed to her often. She goes CRAZY for them, she will jump out of the water if she sees them and practically do somersaults in anticipation of them.
So, if you guy won't touch pellets at all, and you've tried all you can think of to get him to eat them, try a very high quality flake. And by high quality, I mean that at least the first 3 ingredients (preferably 4 or more) are a fish protein source and there is very few filler stuff like wheat, etc. Most of the regular flakes - like the Top Fin Tropical flakes, are mostly filler with very little fish protein in it (check the ingredients)

Last edited by sainthogan; 11-17-2012 at 11:57 AM.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #8 
LizzyP

+1 to bloodworms being not a good staple diet.

Try Omega One or NLS. NLS is available at Petco only and Omega One is available at Petco and Petsmart. If he still doesn't eat them, try soaking them in garlic juice. Garlic enhances smell and taste. Plus, the pellets are small and a uniform size so it makes feeding easy and the ingredients are much better for them :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #9 
babystarz

Bloodworms simply don't have the protein level necessary to maintain a carnivorous fish. They do have lots of fat, which is good in moderation, but it would be like a human eating Pop Tarts all day every day. Technically you could survive on them, but they don't offer many nutrients and you'd eventually start to get sick.

If your betta absolutely refuses all pellets, the flakes are OK, and you can always supplement with other live/frozen foods like brine shrimp, daphnia, mosquito larvae, and black worms.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #10 
GoldenLeaf

Thanks for all the great information! I don't know what I (or my Squishy) would do without all your support and help. I never knew how bad bloodworms really are for my guy as a regular diet.

I will definitely make sure to switch him to another food/flake. The garlic juice is definitely a great suggestion! I would have never thought that fish would enjoy garlic. I guess it's good I don't have a female Betta so he doesn't have to worry about bad breath :).

*I am assuming that any "Tropical" pellets/flakes are ok for Bettas. Is this true? I only ask in case there is something specifically in Betta pellets/flakes that Bettas need. I am wary about trying new food since I have spent so much money already of stuff my little guy doesn't eat, but I do need to find him something good.

Thanks!