Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Ghost shrimp in a 5 gallon

Okay here's the thing can I have the 2 ghost shrimp with a betta in an unfiltered 5g tank?

I had the shrimp in qt in a 1 gallon, and I'm thinking it will be soon time to have them join a betta.

I'm just worried that I never overfeed betta to the point that food fall on the bottom, I scoop them up, and I know ghost shrimp are cleaners and scavangers and I was wondering if I should feed them seperately, or distract the betta and let a flake fall onto the bottom for the shrimp.

Also stupid question, will the shrimp find the food :D cause my gravel is big and colorful and I'm afraid it might get lost between gravel XD
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #2 
Fabian

I think you need a filter because the ghost shrimp will produce a lot of waste.
I think the ghost shrimp will not mistaken the gravel for food.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #3 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I think you need a filter because the ghost shrimp will produce a lot of waste.
I think the ghost shrimp will not mistaken the gravel for food.
No no, i mean the food getting stuff and hidden in the gravel. Will they find it regardless?

I thought shrimps had a very small bioload. At least compared to a snail, with proper water changes I do not think it will be an issue.

Also someone please answer about the feeding the shrimp question I put in the first post :D thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #4 
Chuckee

The shrimp will be fine, until the betta decides to break them; make sure you have hiding places for them. Also, they bounce when chased, so put something over your bowl/tank
You could change the gravel if you're worried about it. Honestly, you shouldn't have rock or large gravel as a betta substrate anyway... They like to patrol the bottom occasionally.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #5 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
No no, i mean the food getting stuff and hidden in the gravel. Will they find it regardless?

I thought shrimps had a very small bioload. At least compared to a snail, with proper water changes I do not think it will be an issue.

Also someone please answer about the feeding the shrimp question I put in the first post :D thanks!
If you have live plants, you don't need to worry too much. And you'll have to decide whether or not to feed them extra once you observe the situation. If they are placidly wandering the bottom with they're little feeder arms working, they're good. If they're moving about more frantically or erratically, then they'll need supplementing, and if they sit in one spot, not feeding for an extended period of time, then they're probably overly stressed and should be removed from the tank.

Definitely keep in mind that the more live plants you have, the better for your shrimp. I personally can't keep a shrimp alive in an un-planted tank...
But the ones that live in my plant tank never need extra feed, while the ones in my filtered tank do.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would recommend a filter doge filters are best.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckee View Post
The shrimp will be fine, until the betta decides to break them; make sure you have hiding places for them. Also, they bounce when chased, so put something over your bowl/tank
You could change the gravel if you're worried about it. Honestly, you shouldn't have rock or large gravel as a betta substrate anyway... They like to patrol the bottom occasionally.

they aren't THAT big, they are like smooth round-oval like :)
Old 11-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #8 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckee View Post
If you have live plants, you don't need to worry too much. And you'll have to decide whether or not to feed them extra once you observe the situation. If they are placidly wandering the bottom with they're little feeder arms working, they're good. If they're moving about more frantically or erratically, then they'll need supplementing, and if they sit in one spot, not feeding for an extended period of time, then they're probably overly stressed and should be removed from the tank.

Definitely keep in mind that the more live plants you have, the better for your shrimp. I personally can't keep a shrimp alive in an un-planted tank...
But the ones that live in my plant tank never need extra feed, while the ones in my filtered tank do.

working on getting live plants, however I am trying to figure out their care and such, I-- I don't have a green thumb so even cactuses die on me :/ ... and I follow exact instructions lol. Perhaps I'm too methodic. I'm trying to safe for a moss ball :D they look nice, fun for bettas and shrimp. Also driftwood. Cause... it's not live LOL.

Also I'm starting to wonder if I indeed have ghost shrimp or amano shrimp lol

Last edited by asukabetta; 11-17-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

An inch but I would reccomend a sponge flter because invertabrates are not very tolerant of bad water quality.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #10 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
An inch but I would reccomend a sponge flter because invertabrates are not very tolerant of bad water quality.

I just made a filter baffler and so far so good. XD