Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Filter problems

So I've had my one filter cartridge in the filter for about a month now and it's starting to get REALLY brown. However, I've been told that that''s what the BB live on (I thought it was the intake since that part is underwater) and to NOT clean the filter at all.

However, it's actually begun to create a grime on the filter and it's been running weirdly (it's making bubbles and causing water to come out in bursts). I am probably going to replace the cartridge and do a small cleaning on the surface/inside of the filter (to remove the chunks of grime).

Is this bad?
And if I can't change the cartridge, what do I do? :<
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

... The intake just sucks up the water, the filter media is the part where the BB live. Just swish it in tank water that you got out during water changes. That should be sufficient and solve your problem. :) You shouldn't change the cartridge until it actually falls apart. Your cycle will be lost without it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

ahhh :/

I'll make sure to do so during my next change. I also need to get another filter of the same kind for my 5 gallon (only the 10 gallon has the filter) so I guess that will also help with the 6 replacement cartridges I have ><
Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
... The intake just sucks up the water, the filter media is the part where the BB live. Just swish it in tank water that you got out during water changes. That should be sufficient and solve your problem. :) You shouldn't change the cartridge until it actually falls apart. Your cycle will be lost without it.
+1

also you could plop the filter cartridge in the tank and go clean the rest of the filter with warm water. Do not let the filter cartridge dry out or your BB will die.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
+1

also you could plop the filter cartridge in the tank and go clean the rest of the filter with warm water. Do not let the filter cartridge dry out or your BB will die.
ahh thanks!

Now, since I brought the filter from my 5 gallon to my 10 gallon, the 10 gallon tank should cycle MUCH faster, correct?

the 5 gallon still has its decorations so the BB is on those too, right? And if so, does that mean the 5 gallon will remain cycled even without a filter?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, but the filter would take twice as much time to fully filter the whole tank. The cycle majorly occurs in the filter media, so if you lose the filter-you lose the cycle.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

hmmm, well I guess it's a good thing that I bought some plants for the tank (duckweed).
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
ahh thanks!

Now, since I brought the filter from my 5 gallon to my 10 gallon, the 10 gallon tank should cycle MUCH faster, correct?

the 5 gallon still has its decorations so the BB is on those too, right? And if so, does that mean the 5 gallon will remain cycled even without a filter?
The 5 gallon will not remain cycled without a filter. Most (about70%) of the BB live in the filter media. The BB needs oxygen and the filter provides gas exchange so that they can get oxygen. Also, the filter sucks up the ammonia with the water and "delivers" it to the BB so that the can "munch" on it. (lol)

So the BB can't really survive without water movement in most typical conditions.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

Okay, I'll make sure to get another filter once I can :)
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #10 
logisticsguy

I like to put a sponge pre filter on the intake. It takes out a lot of muck and had tons of bb on it. Also like using a small bio sponge filter in the tank as well. With the HOB, pre filter, sponge filter and plants its like having 4 separate filters in one tank. This works best for me in a 10g set up and my 5g tanks only have sponge filters and plants.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote