Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #81 
carbonxxkidd

Yep. The thermometer has read a constant 78 since I put in the heater :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #82 
Sakura8

The salt should be okay with the Fungus Cure.

Another thing to try is a double strength methylene blue bath. You can get methylene blue at Petsmart, as far as I'm aware. You will want to use a different tank though, or even an old rubbermaid container because methylene blue stains and can also wreck any beneficial bacteria going on. You would use 1 tsp of 2.303% methylene blue per 5 gallons and leave Scully in this for 30 minutes, twice a day, for probably 3 days.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #83 
carbonxxkidd

I'm sorry to say that Scully has really taken a turn for the worse. All the medications, warm water, and live daphnia have not improved his condition at all, unfortunately. He's still eating, barely, but all of his fins are melted, split, and turning black. His tail is almost completely gone and he is really having a hard time getting around. I literally have to put food right in front of his face for him to eat. We fought hard, but I think it's time to send him to the rainbow bridge.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice (expecially Sakura8). I have learned a lot through this experience. I hope I never have to deal with something like this again. I now know the signs of illness and know how to properly take care of my tank and my fish(thanks to this wonderful forum) so my future bettas will hopefully stay healthy.

RIP Scully, you were a great fish!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #84 
paloverde

Sometimes a final act of kindness is just so hard...so sorry.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #85 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry to hear that, carbon. :( Scully put up an epic fight and he couldn't have done it without your help. You gave him the best chance he ever possibly had and he was one lucky fellow to have been rescued by you. He was a special little guy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #86 
Aqua Betta

Carbon,

You really did a lot for Scully - you're an excellent Betta owner for trying so many different things to help him. I believe that he knew you were really trying to help him. Thanks to all of the other posters who helped, especially Sakura8, who also helped me with my BeBe when he was sick. Take care of yourself.
Aqua Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #87 
aemaki09

I have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while. Honestly i'm suprised he held on as long as he did.
you tried absolutely everything you could for him, it was just too agressive of disease. I hope this doesnt deter you from every getting another betta. Any betta would be absolutely lucky to have someone as caring as you to take care of them!
I'm so sorry that you have to lose him, I know they can become dear friends, but atleast he isnt suffering anymore!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #88 
carbonxxkidd

Thank you all for your sympathy. It's still hard for me to believe that I have had bettas my whole life and only just learned the "basics" on how to keep them thriving. I never even knew what fin rot was/looked like until Scully, and he had gotten to the point where there was no doubt in my mind how sick he was. When he first was moved into the 5 gallon tank I bought (right at the beginning of treatment), I had seen a gorgeous little crown tail (now named Krycek) at my local Petsmart while I was buying meds, and couldn't say no to him. He lived in Scully's old 2 gallon (I thought it was 3 at the start of this posting) for a month until Scully passed. This guy got twice weekly water changes AND a heater, so right off the bat he was better taken care of than Scully was the majority of his life. When Scully passed, I cleaned out his tank and divided it so I could have Krycek in one side, and a new betta (Tooms) in the other. I'm hoping with all I learned through Scully's sickness and your help that I can keep them in good health for the rest of their lives. You can see pictures of them and their tank here: Krycek and Tooms

Thanks again for all your support!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #89 
Aqua Betta

That's great Carbon. I checked out their pics - they are both beautiful!
Aqua Betta is offline   Reply With Quote