Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #1 
koakritters

Getting My First Fish- Which tank should I use?

Hi everyone, I'm new here!

I am looking at getting my first Betta fish, or at least, my first one since I was a kid and it was "okay" to keep them in tiny things... Now that I'm old enough to actually know better...

What I ideally wanted was a 10 gallon tank with some females, but it looks like that will be way too expensive right now, seeing as I would have to buy a filter and heater and everything else to go with it, so I am looking at this tank.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

or perhaps this one

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

are either of these any good for a beginner? I know that they should have a bigger tank but for right now, that's probably not possible...

Also, if I was to find a way to fit a bigger tank, what would be a good size to have several females living together???
koakritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #2 
Wendyjo

Those 2 tanks look to be pretty much the same - both are 1 gallon corner tanks. I'd personally not go with anything smaller than a 2.5 gallon for one betta.

No matter what size you get you still need to buy a heater.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #3 
paloverde

Hi both those tanks look fine, 1 gal as you know will require a few water changes a week. The one that costs a few $ more has the color change led lights, do you think that is something that you would like?
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #4 
koakritters

that's why i was looking at it, changing colors! LOL

the other one looks like it comes with a filter and stuff in it, i didn't see that advertised on the color changing one... for a 1 gallon tank is a filter really necessary since I will be changing out the water? Or would it just help keep it a bit cleaner in between?

Also, I was reading somewhere that bettas and ghost shrimp can live together. Would it be possible to put a male betta and a ghost shrimp together in one of these or would that be too small?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #5 
Gryphon

If you are looking for a cheap tank for a single betta, I'd suggest this one. It doesn't come with anything other than the tank, but a filter isn't absolutely necessary if you are consistant with water changes.

As other people mentioned, regardless of what tank you get, you will need to get a heater. The 2.5 will be a lot easier to keep at a constant temperature. I personally like hydor theo 25 watt heaters, as they are fully submersible and adjustable.

As for keeping females together, I personally would suggest 20gal, but I'm not an expert on sororities.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #6 
Gryphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by koakritters View Post
Also, I was reading somewhere that bettas and ghost shrimp can live together. Would it be possible to put a male betta and a ghost shrimp together in one of these or would that be too small?
Keeping shrimp and bettas together is always a gamble. I wouldn't suggest keeping one in a tank that small since that is pretty much like serving the betta his lunch on a silver platter and then wondering why he ate it.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #7 
koakritters

I didn't see that one!!! I'll have to look and see if they have them hidden somewhere, thanks!

So, really all I would need for that one would be the tank, decorations and stuff, and then the heater? of course the fish and all the food and stuff too... but just tank wise.

what about shrimp in the 2.5 gallon? I love this site already, everyone is so helpful! once again the pet store people were not, but that's expected... i can safely say i've raised pretty much every other type of animal, just not fish... I did have a goldfish that lived for 16 years though. :) SO I think I'll be okay with these guys...
Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #8 
Chuckee

I'm not of the "5-gal per betta" school, but a gallon is just nothing to me. Some bettas prefer smaller quarters, though, I've found.
Honestly, none of my bettas lives with a filter. I have personally never met one who liked it. So, I just try to be as diligent as humanly possible about water changes, and keep my betta habitats simple and easy to maintain.

As to ghost shrimp, they're fine until your betta decides to break them.
It's a case specific idea that they can live together. I'd bet that I could keep one with my Cowardly Dude, but my royal blue hunts things down obsessively... Nothing that moves is allowed in his (enormous) bowl
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #9 
paloverde

For a 1 gal tank, the majority of the betta keepers on this site won't bother with a filter for that small of a tank. Due to the fact that they do 100% water changes at least weekly, a filter is just baggage. Have you looked at any other size tanks? I know that walmart has a really nice 5 gal with led light & filter for $27.00.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 
koakritters

i've seen the bigger tanks, the problem is right now i don't have room for one much bigger... i can maybe get away with the 2.5 gallon if i rearrange...

just a question, how is it that the fish at the stores are able to live without a heater? is room temperature okay enough for a while? I know my house is normally around 70 all day and night, summer even warmer... I plan on getting a heater, but if i'm not able to find one right away, the store was pretty unstocked today, hoping they get more stuff in soon... :(