Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #1 
Cez

Completely non-aggressive male?

So I just got this boy Pastel in rough shape, and now that he's healing he's more active. I've just put him in a divided 10-gallon and he's loving it, but while the other fish notices him and flares he does absolutely NOTHING about it.

He just... disregards the other fish entirely. I can tell that he SEES the other fish, but there is zero interest other than to gaze at it for a bit before flitting off to gaze at a shrimp or something else.

Is it possible to have a completely complacent male betta?
Cez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #2 
Chuckee

I have a boy who is exactly the same way!
He lives right next to a female, and he flirts with her constantly, showing every iota of fin he's got (which is a lot, but it's a nearly transparent brown) and dancing back and forth in front of her. But he's never flared at her.
When I had him in a divided tank with a male plakat, he cowered instead of flared back.
But the female next to him, who's also a coward, seems to like him back. Which almost tempts me to toss them together and see what happens, but neither is suitable breeding stock, they were both rescues.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 
Cez

Aah, it's so bizarre! That's adorable though. They seem like they'd be a happy couple :P
Old 11-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #4 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cez View Post
Aah, it's so bizarre! That's adorable though. They seem like they'd be a happy couple :P
I know, right?
They're just so gentle, it's nuts! And they're both beggars like no fish I've ever seen!
When I walk by them, they both come close and stare at me, occasionally darting up to look at the surface of the water, just in case they missed me feeding them, and then back to staring me down. I think they try to hypnotize me.

Ah, well. Leave it to me to end up with nuts! All of my friends have been slightly off... I had a half-blind horse who hated men and loved sad songs, a Felix (cat) who thought that he was a dog, a dog that would chase birds up into the air and a dog that followed my school bus, waited outside, then followed it home. She would also sit and have rather lengthy conversations with me and refused to acknowledge any person who even jokingly insulted her.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 
Cez

Ahahaha, quirky animals are the best. Sounds like you've had your fair share!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #6 
Chuckee

Quote:
Ahahaha, quirky animals are the best. Sounds like you've had your fair share!
Yeah... I wasn't just talking about my animals, but I'd say that I've had more than my fair share. My mother had a rooster who only ever attacked me, because I was the one who took too long to feed him or something and my dad had a dog that would knock us on our butts when we were heading out to change irrigation pipes, because the slap-slap-slap of our rubber boots wigged her out. Often enough she'd sit on us until an adult came to tell her we were allowed up. My youngest brother had a cat who hated having her feet on the ground and my other younger brother slept with a steer when he was 3. We also had a horse that was forever climbing on things and a goat that would come running with the dogs when we whistled.
And the neighbor's dog that came to live with us one day, no matter how many times they tried to take him home... He would always, of his own accord, go home for special occasions.

Heh... I have had many animals in my world
Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #7 
Cez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckee View Post
Heh... I have had many animals in my world
Awwww! Your world sounds like an enriched one :]
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #8 
Chuckee

Quote:
Awwww! Your world sounds like an enriched one :]
It very much was. I've known that for a very long time.
Of course, as it's impossible to have everything, I got to miss out on many things and deal with certain things, but I'd honestly never trade it.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #9 
Cez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckee View Post
It very much was. I've known that for a very long time.
Of course, as it's impossible to have everything, I got to miss out on many things and deal with certain things, but I'd honestly never trade it.
Mmm, I feel much the same about mine :]]]
Old 11-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #10 
JadeSparrow

We had a duck that though he was a jumbo Wisconsin quail, he hated water, and walked all the way across 30 acres to get back to "his" quail. It was kinda funny
JadeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote