Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #11 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by koakritters View Post
i've seen the bigger tanks, the problem is right now i don't have room for one much bigger... i can maybe get away with the 2.5 gallon if i rearrange...

just a question, how is it that the fish at the stores are able to live without a heater? is room temperature okay enough for a while? I know my house is normally around 70 all day and night, summer even warmer... I plan on getting a heater, but if i'm not able to find one right away, the store was pretty unstocked today, hoping they get more stuff in soon... :(
True they are alive...but will fail to thrive. A betta is doomed to all sorts of health issues if they are not kept at at least 76* most people feel that they do best at 78* to 80*
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #12 
paloverde

This sounds very rude, but what is your budget for the entire set up including all the extras...trust me there will be extras.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #13 
koakritters

I'm really trying to keep it under $50. Right now I've got it priced out with the 2.5 gallon tank, heater, gravel at $33. Planning on maybe $10 ish for decorations, depending on what they have- Walmart actually has cuter/cheaper fish decorations than petsmart- and cheaper gravel too, then food and water conditioner brings it to about $50... Plus my fish of course! :) I'm just trying to figure everything out right now.

or i could go with the smaller tank and that comes up closer to $35 ish, plus food and conditioner. I just really don't know where I could put the 2.5 gallon tank, I'd prefer that one so he would have more room, but i would have to rearrange a lot of stuff... it's more about the spacing than price right now.
koakritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #14 
Chuckee

Quote:
i've seen the bigger tanks, the problem is right now i don't have room for one much bigger... i can maybe get away with the 2.5 gallon if i rearrange...

just a question, how is it that the fish at the stores are able to live without a heater? is room temperature okay enough for a while? I know my house is normally around 70 all day and night, summer even warmer... I plan on getting a heater, but if i'm not able to find one right away, the store was pretty unstocked today, hoping they get more stuff in soon... :(
They aren't, really. They're not =expected to live long that way. Many pet stores expect weekly shipments, and any bettas that they don't sell to probably be dead by the next shipping.
If they don't die, great. If they do, no big. It's a terrible way to look at living creatures, but money is bigger than life, and that's how it goes.
If you have enough water and your night to day temp changes aren't to drastic, then you should be fine for now, but I'd invest in a small heater. I use mine when I need to, and unplug them when I don't. I've actually had to cool mine before, but now that it's winter....

Last edited by Chuckee; 11-18-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #15 
paloverde

That 2.5 glass is nice, you will need a top for it. Petsmart has a tetra water works 1.5 cube style that has a small footprint comes with filter,plastic plants, top,light, and i think the gravel also.It has a cool drawer base, for $24.00. That will give you the room to fit in a heater, and stay within your budget.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #16 
koakritters

I'm actually starting to look at how to reorganize everything to fit a 10 gallon tank... since pricing wise- it's the exact same as the 2.5 gallon!!! I just don't know where I would put it...

for a top- it claims it comes with a glass one, but then there would be no air getting in... I was thinking i could make one of of cardboard to fit perfectly, and then just cut small 1/4" strips through the top- air in, fish stay in too...

Just curious, I know bettas can get along with other types of fish, has anyone ever done male, or female bettas, with Dalmatian Mollies? do they work together? I love those too.. If I'm going to go with a bigger tank, then that may change everything... too many choices!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #17 
Chuckee

Quote:
I'm really trying to keep it under $50. Right now I've got it priced out with the 2.5 gallon tank, heater, gravel at $33. Planning on maybe $10 ish for decorations, depending on what they have- Walmart actually has cuter/cheaper fish decorations than petsmart- and cheaper gravel too, then food and water conditioner brings it to about $50... Plus my fish of course! :) I'm just trying to figure everything out right now.

or i could go with the smaller tank and that comes up closer to $35 ish, plus food and conditioner. I just really don't know where I could put the 2.5 gallon tank, I'd prefer that one so he would have more room, but i would have to rearrange a lot of stuff... it's more about the spacing than price right now.
Have you ever tried a home goods store? I've found some nice glass containers and decor in those. Also, you can always just use rock and plants as decor. That keeps it cheap and safe... I honestly don't trust most Wal-Mart decorations to be safe. For that matter, I shy away from most aquarium decor. I refuse to have sharp edges anywhere near my loves!
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #18 
koakritters

there were a couple cute walmart ones that didn't have any sharp edges- i checked!!!

i was also looking at getting live plants instead, so many of the plastic ones just look ugly.... so far i am planning on white gravel, with some blues mixed in, some blue shiny rocks, and then ????? :)

I did find a very cute, glass vase-like thingy at one that i was thinking about getting, maybe for a goldfish... it claims it's a half gallon, which i guess is what some of these betta fish things are, bu it just seem too small... maybe for a baby or a small female or something... i'm liking the idea of the 10 gallon and maybe adding other fish in if anyone has some tips on that? can i put a male betta in with others that are not bettas or will he still fight?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #19 
paloverde

Wow, you are progressing rather quickly...Dollar wise the 10 gal tanks that walmart has can't be beat. With a few light bulb up grades ( $8.00 ) you can grow most plants. FYI goldfish need really big tanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #20 
koakritters

I know, that's why I was looking at it... it just seems silly to buy a 1 gallon one or 2.5 gallon when I could get a 10... I would only get the betta right now, but for in the future...