Originally Posted by Cez View Post
Mmm, I feel much the same about mine :]]]
I'm glad!
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #12 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeSparrow View Post
We had a duck that though he was a jumbo Wisconsin quail, he hated water, and walked all the way across 30 acres to get back to "his" quail. It was kinda funny
Isn't it just the weirdest thing when they do that?!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #13 
JadeSparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckee View Post
Isn't it just the weirdest thing when they do that?!
especially since he was raised with other ducks and a few chickens yea. We even tried to put him with a different breed of quail and he freaked out lol
JadeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #14 
babystarz

Tikibirds actually has a male in her sorority XD So yes, it does happen, possibly more often than you'd think!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #15 
horsyqueen

I had a male like that. Even when a male was in a seperation tank from him he didnt even bother to flare up just swam past.
He even had a female in with him and didnt do anything.
horsyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #16 
Cez

I love hearing about all these other calm males!

I wonder if anyone's ever tried breeding a line of non- or less-aggressive bettas. Selective breeding for temperament, rather than aesthetic.
Cez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #17 
Chuckee

Well, I did finally give in to curiosity and toss her into his bowl. And then I fidgeted nervously as I waited for them to tear each other apart.

First, she explored the new surroundings, as he kinda floated around in apparent confusion. "Something's not right... what's going on?"
Then she swam up to him and flared right at him, and he kind of "jumped" a little, but she swam off right away, so he swam after her and flared at her (he has such full fins, it's a pity they're not brighter) and then hurried up to the water surface and started blowing himself a nest!
Every so often, she'd drift over and check it out, but he'd shoo her away and keep blowing and rearranging bubbles. It was a pretty good nest, albeit a small one... Short notice, I suppose.
Then they did their chase around, and they each got a nip in the fin. Then he went back to his nest and I decided that if I'm going to breed them as a pair, they will need an adequate tank.

I haven't decided yet what to do about it...
Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #18 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Tikibirds actually has a male in her sorority XD So yes, it does happen, possibly more often than you'd think!
One of our local petcos had one, too. Apparently, they came in together as fry, and one was mis-sexed. They were all reds, or the fish kid might have sold me on them. Red only appeals to me when there's lot's of black with it
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #19 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeSparrow View Post
especially since he was raised with other ducks and a few chickens yea. We even tried to put him with a different breed of quail and he freaked out lol
I think that some kinds of ducks are like llamas, because my older brother had a Daffy (my other brothers had females) and he would herd his two ladies -and- all of the chickens into the coop at night. I never really thought about it until your stories, and remembering the way that llamas lord over their sheeps, I can't help but wonder if maybe it all makes sense in the grand scheme of Nature, and we've just removed ourselves too completely from it to understand why we ourselves feel the need to dote upon, and often humanize our pets
Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #20 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsyqueen View Post
I had a male like that. Even when a male was in a separation tank from him he didn't even bother to flare up just swam past.
He even had a female in with him and didn't do anything.
Didn't do anything at all?
No flirting whatsoever?