Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #11 
meiperfectneina19

I wouldn't worry about they finding the food on the colorful gravel. They are pretty good at finding, smelling and tracking any flakes or food.
meiperfectneina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #12 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I think you need a filter because the ghost shrimp will produce a lot of waste.
I think the ghost shrimp will not mistaken the gravel for food.
gost shrimp have little to NO bioload AT ALL. :)
I wuld say go for it! Keep up on your water changes, as they can be sensitive!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I still say filters will help they are very sensative to ammonia and Nitrite.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #14 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I still say filters will help they are very sensative to ammonia and Nitrite.
I agree about the sensitivity to water quality; however, I have personally had the best luck in my unfiltered plant growing tank. I do regular water changes, but they aren't very big.
The shrimp in the filtered tank aren't as happy... they don't seem to like the current at all (I always turn the filter off at feeding time, and that's when they and my albino cory and a red wag platy get moving), and I've lost four already. I haven't lost a single one of the others. And, as I previously mentioned, none survived without the live plants.
I've also found that three is the best number for 10 gallons... that's just my opinion, though.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #15 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
working on getting live plants, however I am trying to figure out their care and such, I-- I don't have a green thumb so even cactuses die on me :/ ... and I follow exact instructions lol. Perhaps I'm too methodic. I'm trying to safe for a moss ball :D they look nice, fun for bettas and shrimp. Also driftwood. Cause... it's not live LOL.

Also I'm starting to wonder if I indeed have ghost shrimp or amano shrimp lol
Java fern. Seriously hardy. (Cactuses, surprisingly, are not, though)
Moss balls are good, too. Marimo for shrimp and java for the betta.
Egeria Densa and Anacharis are also easy choices.
Personally, I just toss 'em in and fertilize once a week. If they don't grow for me, they don't join the family. No more logical to try to keep a plant or animal that's incompatible with you than to try to keep an incompatible lover.

If you feel like your rocks are large enough for food to get stuck in, then they probably are. My shrimp have a mixed substrate of sand, pea gravel, peat and river rock, and they seem to spend the most time on the sandier patches. I've also switched a couple of my bettas to sand from river rock and they seem less paranoid than before... the male used to always hover an inch above the bottom, and the female used to hang head down and peer into every gap in the rocks, constantly, as if she were sure there was some delicious morsel hiding there. I have a male HMPK who acts the same way, but not so obsessively... just an occasional turn around the bottom. He's my shrimp smasher. Beautiful but mean as a demon

Keep in mind that my advice is based on my successes and failures with Ghost Shrimps. I can't actually tell you anything about Amanos, as I've never been able to get my hands on them, although I do assume, from what I've read, that there isn't a -huge- difference
Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #16 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckee View Post
Java fern. Seriously hardy. (Cactuses, surprisingly, are not, though)
Moss balls are good, too. Marimo for shrimp and java for the betta.
Egeria Densa and Anacharis are also easy choices.
Personally, I just toss 'em in and fertilize once a week. If they don't grow for me, they don't join the family. No more logical to try to keep a plant or animal that's incompatible with you than to try to keep an incompatible lover.

If you feel like your rocks are large enough for food to get stuck in, then they probably are. My shrimp have a mixed substrate of sand, pea gravel, peat and river rock, and they seem to spend the most time on the sandier patches. I've also switched a couple of my bettas to sand from river rock and they seem less paranoid than before... the male used to always hover an inch above the bottom, and the female used to hang head down and peer into every gap in the rocks, constantly, as if she were sure there was some delicious morsel hiding there. I have a male HMPK who acts the same way, but not so obsessively... just an occasional turn around the bottom. He's my shrimp smasher. Beautiful but mean as a demon

Keep in mind that my advice is based on my successes and failures with Ghost Shrimps. I can't actually tell you anything about Amanos, as I've never been able to get my hands on them, although I do assume, from what I've read, that there isn't a -huge- difference
I'm thinking about changing my substrate to sand. but it makes me angry cause I just wasted 30E that I could have spent on sand had I known better sooner. Sigh...

They do not have java in the store but they do have anarchis and marimo moss balls :D!!!

Time to save up lol. My wallet... poor thing.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Is the Marimo in your area expensive mine was 10.00$.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #18 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
I'm thinking about changing my substrate to sand. but it makes me angry cause I just wasted 30E that I could have spent on sand had I known better sooner. Sigh...

They do not have java in the store but they do have anarchis and marimo moss balls :D!!!

Time to save up lol. My wallet... poor thing.
Don't worry. That's how it happened for me, too. I was actually -informed- that they don't like sand, which I should have known was dumb, but I wasn't thinking when I brought home the first two. It was the end of their shelf life and that was all I knew.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #19 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Is the Marimo in your area expensive mine was 10.00$.
I just bought one at Petsmart for $7.99 tonight.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #20 
asukabetta

They are 8e I got one just now its pretty much 10,2 dollars but they gave me a big one that i can divide. I bought sand, a filter for my pther betta and anubias + another plant i cant remeber their name. I found someone on the net willing to meet with me to sell me java moss in exchange of my nerite snails :3
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote