Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #21 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
This doesn't bother anybody else?

If you are noticing the white stuff AFTER death, it is probably just fungal decomposition. If they are getting it before death, then it is probably columnaris.

I'd be more concerned about your water parameters. Where are you getting your water from? It looks like it's being run through a R/O unit or a water softener. Without replenishing natural ions in the water, it's not good for fish or even people to drink. (Essentially this sounds like distilled water)

With a hardness of 0 dGH, there are little or no natural nutrients in your aquarium for your fish to live on (stuff like iron, magnesium, etc.) that both your fish and you as a human need to live. Your KH is probably low as well, which will give rise to pH swings.

Your pH of 8 is fine as long as it stays like that. I've had fish live in pH of 8.2 at my apartment at school.
Good catch! I had assumed from the numbers or lack, that perhaps the water wasn't tested.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #22 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
This doesn't bother anybody else?

If you are noticing the white stuff AFTER death, it is probably just fungal decomposition. If they are getting it before death, then it is probably columnaris.

I'd be more concerned about your water parameters. Where are you getting your water from? It looks like it's being run through a R/O unit or a water softener. Without replenishing natural ions in the water, it's not good for fish or even people to drink. (Essentially this sounds like distilled water)

With a hardness of 0 dGH, there are little or no natural nutrients in your aquarium for your fish to live on (stuff like iron, magnesium, etc.) that both your fish and you as a human need to live. Your KH is probably low as well, which will give rise to pH swings.

Your pH of 8 is fine as long as it stays like that. I've had fish live in pH of 8.2 at my apartment at school.
Ive noticed the white before death.
I get my water from tap, the pH starts at around 8 and settles to 7.8~ and I test it like a maniac and it remains.
I have shrimp supplement liquid if you want me to harden my water - I know I have soft water and this isn't killing my fish. Neither is the pH neither is the KH. Lets stay on topic. I try to keep fish that can handle my water rather than try to change my water, because that doesn't always work well or remain predictable - my tap water is predictable.

Anyways I've put some Erythromycin in the tank and following instructions. I may do the same in the other tanks I moved sick fish into as they're probably infected as well.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #23 
djembekah

Xeek also has a male betta in the same type of water as his females, i don't think it's his lack of hardness that is the problem
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #24 
Pogthefish

Are you sure those are the numbers? That can't be right. What test brand are you using? Also, the water quality is COMPLETELY relevant, it could be whats causing this. Also, that water isn't soft, that water is BEYOND soft, like that could be a major problem here.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #25 
Pogthefish

wait, did you test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate before you added the water, or did you test the tank water?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #26 
paloverde

I apologize for sounding like the harbinger of death, and truly had no intentions of insulting you or your fish husbandry.Please keep this forum informed on how things progress. if you find a way to cure them perhaps you can pay it forward and help someone else.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #27 
Sakura8

Hey xeek. First, although I haven't read the whole thread I did skim so I apologize if I missed anything important. In regards to your water chemistry: it's exactly like mine so I'm guessing you have a water softener. That will result in super soft water but with a pH that is the same as water that does not go through a water softener. My water is 0 GH and pH 7.8 and my bettas all do fine in it. My plants are another story, however. If the 0 GH bothers you, I would suggest adding a pinch of coral OR a Wonder Shell to bump up the GH and aid in electrolyte balance.

That mystery solved, on to the next. I have a feeling you've got an outbreak of columnaris in your tank, as wendyjo suggested. I assume your cories and your crayfish are okay so it's only affecting your bettas?

First, you can treat for columnaris either conservatively with 3 tsps of AQ salt per gallon and lowered heat OR you can treat aggressively with medication starting with API Furan-2. Carry out all treatment in a hospital tank if you can.

Also, just as a side note: double check the adult size of that crayfish. I've heard horror stories about those things growing up and even at only 3", eating everything in the tank.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #28 
Xeek

CPO crayfish get to 1.5" and Eddie is close to that already. His claws are very small and they dont get any bigger. This is a dwarf mexican orange crayfish. They are one of the most docile. They are also slow and much smaller than other crayfish. I've done all this research in any case this is way off topic and he isn't the one killing my fish.

My water is soft out of the tap and we've known this before I had aquariums. I test my water from water in the tank (why would I test it from anywhere else?).

I looked at Furan and it seems to have poor reviews. I got some other antibiotic which is known to treat this bacteria infection we're theorizing. Im treating the whole tank because the tank is contaminated I don't want it to linger for the other fish.

I started treatment today. In 24 hours I add more, 24 hours after that I have to do a small water change. I believe there needs to be four treatments to complete the process. This should be safe for my corys and inverts which is what I didn't want to use any salt or copper on.

Thanks Sakura8 and lexylex0526!

And yes believe it, my water is 0 dGH and 8 PH. That's how the water is out of my tap and other than a small drop in PH over time nothing else changes after more than a week if the water sits. I've tested so much I've gone through a batch of strips and used a quite a lot of my API Master Test kit. I test like crazy - I'm anal.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #29 
ao
TFK Moderator

0dh isnt that rare. water in queens nyc is 0hardness out of the tap.
our water is actually perfect for keeping crs ;)
sometimes I think my fish and shrimps are happier when I dont do water changes....

correct me if I'm wrong but the other med for this is kanaplex, which is usually only obtainable from online...

we've had several users combat columnaris with furan-2 sucessfully before and i believe sakura8 was there in the help thread.

all the best to you and the health of your fish.
And like previously said, please keep us updated in the progress of combating this disease, it will prove to be very valuable to future cases.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #30 
Pogthefish

What about the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? How are they all 0?