Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #21 
Oldfishlady

That area on his side looks a bit like a pigment cell melanoma and it could have grown to the point that is is pressing on the spine with lateral line involvement and why he is having swimming difficulties. Not really anything you can do except to keep him comfy-Epsom salt, tannins, no water movement and low water level is what I would recommend and if at any point he seems to be suffering....Sadly, that hard choice we often have to make to do what is right by him......Sorry, I couldn't give you a more positive opinion...but that is just my best guess-so don't give up on him too soon-especially since he is otherwise acting okay.....Lovely fella by the way.
Oldfishlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #22 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
That area on his side looks a bit like a pigment cell melanoma and it could have grown to the point that is is pressing on the spine with lateral line involvement and why he is having swimming difficulties. Not really anything you can do except to keep him comfy-Epsom salt, tannins, no water movement and low water level is what I would recommend and if at any point he seems to be suffering....Sadly, that hard choice we often have to make to do what is right by him......Sorry, I couldn't give you a more positive opinion...but that is just my best guess-so don't give up on him too soon-especially since he is otherwise acting okay.....Lovely fella by the way.
Thank you very much for your guess! It certainly does make sense, although I hope it's not true solely because of the nature of it.

I'll add some oak leaves this round and I think I'll reduce the Epsom salt to 1tsp/gallon from 2tsp since he's been in it for 11 days.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #23 
kfish

Behaviorally, not any change. He's still eating and excreting normally. But his physical appearance has changed slightly... And his red marks are extending. He's still in Epsom salt as of today, but tomorrow he won't be.

Here are some pretty good pictures of the afflictions.

He still looks so beautiful... :(

Last edited by kfish; 11-06-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #24 
kfish

Little Sky died last night. He stopped eating a few days ago and it was just starting to seem like I was going to have to use the clove oil. I'm glad I didn't have to and he went on his own. He started to break out in uncontrollable fin rot, despite being in clean, salted water. I don't think his body could fight anything anymore. The lump must have been a melanoma.

I'll miss him!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #25 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....
Oldfishlady is online now   Reply With Quote