Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #1 
MissLyss1024

Malaysian driftwood is falling apart!

After just a month both pieces of my beautiful Malaysian driftwood have started to fall apart, leaving a huge mess of my tank! I know it has the tendency to do that but I thought it would last longer! I have my plants tied to it and love the look so I need suggestions for something similar. I wanted to try the mopani but I've heard a lot of it has fungus inside? Any and all suggestions welcome! I prefer the natural look because I use sand as my substrate. Thanks!
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #2 
Friendlyfishies

im not of much help but will say my new monapi dw that ive been so excited about is growing little white specs on it...must be some kind of fungus :/ I was hoping my snails would eat it but no such luck...thinking driftwood might not work out for me if it doesnt clear up soon. Yuck.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #3 
Bounce

I've had my Malaysian driftwood for several years now and although it's not exactly falling apart it's kind of messy, seeming to "shed" little 'jibbles' (I don't know how else to describe it ) if I bump it with the gravel vacuum or move it or if it gets disturbed in some way. Because of this, I'm thinking of trying Manzanita wood next. I like the "twiggy, branchy" look of the Manzanita.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #4 
MissLyss1024

I guess mopani is a definite no which is a shame, it's so pretty :( Bounce, what you describe sounds like mine. I cleaned the tank out yesterday and got all the gunk off the bottom but didn't touch the wood. Half an hour later it was covered again :/ The mazanita looks beautiful, if only I could find pieces that are small enough.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #5 
Bounce

Have you checked on ebay? I'm thinking I've seen smaller pieces available there.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #6 
MissLyss1024

I did but all I saw where huge pieces or a bunch of small ones with ridiculous shipping costs. I've researched it a bit and it tends to have fungus like the Mopani so I'm wondering if I should try another batch of the Malaysian and see if it deteriorates as quickly. If it does I give up on wood! :) Aside from liking the look of it I have my plants tied to it so I think I will look into other things to tie them to. I've tried tying them to rocks but they seem to like the wood more.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 
Bounce

Yeah, the shipping is expensive -- quite a bit more than the wood itself.

I can imagine how the mess would show up more on sand. I have gravel so it's not as noticeable as I just vacuum the gravel and suck up the little jibbles. Since you prefer a more natural look, maybe you could try the resin decorations that look like driftwood. While not as realistic as real wood, if you tied your plants to it, it would probably look really nice.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #8 
MissLyss1024

I do like the look of some of the resin pieces, I'll have to look around and see what I can find. Thanks! :)
Old 11-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #9 
Shrimpsta

My malaysian drift wood is hard! I boil mines twice for 4 hours. I had it for a year in my 10 gallon and it still look the same. Small one would last if you boil them but it is very hard to boil and big one. My aunt bought a driftwood that was about 2 cubic square feet, we soaked it for 1 before putting it into our 70 gallon tank. One week later the tank was dark yellow. We kept doing 50% water change but couldn't keep the water from looking clear so she took the driftwood out and put it in the backyard (She love that piece of wood! People collect rocks she collect driftwood now xD) . I would recommend getting wood you can boil that way your water stay clear and the wood would become more solid.
Shrimpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #10 
MissLyss1024

So I stopped using Seachem Flourish Excel after a 50% water change on Tuesday and there is a huge decrease in the amount of debris on the bottom of the tank! It looks as if that was the problem but is that normal? I can't find anything online about it doing that. I was only dosing a full cap once a week after the weekly 50% wc. Haven't noticed a difference in the algae or in my plants either.