Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #11 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I am telling you that is no fin rot with fin rot the edges are black it could be fin nipping.
I was thinking this too, the two deepest chunks out of the tail look like nips to me. But the OP did mention that holes appeared first, so whatever caused it initially wasn't nipping. The fish may have nipped after the initial tearing because his tail hurt though.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

So we agree it is not fin rot?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #13 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
So we agree it is not fin rot?
Yes; but these injuries can lead to fin rot if they become infected, which is why I suggest keeping an eye on them. He looks fine to me and the only thing I'm worried about is the little patch on his head, which indicates his immune system might be struggling.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bobs tropical plants has C grade IAL. That should be helpful.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #15 
Jimmybetta

the plants in his tank are exclusively silk with the exception of one mounted on the side tank which I bought in lieu of a "hammock" leaf which the pet store was out of. my last betta liked to "sit" on the plant leaves so thought it was a good idea - this one doesn't do that so much so I have no problem removing it.

This definitely started out as holes and progressed, not as chunks missing right away. Once the actual tears started though, seemed chunks were missing soon thereafter.

Do you have to do more frequent water changes with IAL (assume that means indian almond leaves)? With a cycled tank, is there a frequency of water changes that would be too much or doesn't that matter with a betta?
Jimmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #16 
Jimmybetta

How do I use the IAL (can I just leave them in the tank or should they be removed after a period of time) and do I need to watch pH while using them (I understand they lower pH). thx.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #17 
Jimmybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybetta View Post
How do I use the IAL (can I just leave them in the tank or should they be removed after a period of time) and do I need to watch pH while using them (I understand they lower pH). thx.
sorry forgot to also ask if i'll have to remove my filter which has carbon in it.

Are whole leaves best or the IAL "tea bags"? or doesn't matter? I have never used so don't know protocol, quality, or what to expect with use.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #18 
babystarz

Nope, you don't need to do more frequent water changes with IAL, but it will stain your water to a tea color so be prepared for that.

With a cycled tank, I wouldn't say the frequency of the changes is a big deal because beneficial bacteria don't live in the water column, they cling to surfaces :)

IAL are very simple to use; just drop a leaf or two in the tank and leave it to disintegrate. I've let them decay into leaf litter with no ill effects, but some people prefer to remove them after a week or two because they start to look like, well, decaying leaves. You don't need to keep an eye on your tank pH because IAL will not lower it to a harmful level, and bettas can tolerate a wide pH range.

When buying IAL don't worry about the grade. Grading only refers to the appearance of the leaves, not their content. So grade C or D leaves are as efficacious as grade A.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #19 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybetta View Post
sorry forgot to also ask if i'll have to remove my filter which has carbon in it.

Are whole leaves best or the IAL "tea bags"? or doesn't matter? I have never used so don't know protocol, quality, or what to expect with use.

Thanks!
Nope, you don't need to remove the carbon for the IAL to work. Your filter can be left as is ^^

And it doesn't matter what form you choose to get your IAL in, tea bags or whole leaves will do the same thing. I prefer whole leaves because my bettas think it's endlessly exciting to sit under/on top of them.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #20 
Jimmybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Nope, you don't need to remove the carbon for the IAL to work. Your filter can be left as is ^^

And it doesn't matter what form you choose to get your IAL in, tea bags or whole leaves will do the same thing. I prefer whole leaves because my bettas think it's endlessly exciting to sit under/on top of them.

Can I get IAL in local pet stores or would have to order online?

Thanks again for the advice!