Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #131 
Chuckee

I covet wild types, but I've got this serious "caged bird" complex, too.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #132 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Have you guys seen Setsuna's thread on wild splendens complex?

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-group-119527/
No I haven't, thanks for linking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Yeah that complex doesn't really do much for me I have to admit. It seems that imbellis and smaragdina are the more popular species of wild betta, probably because they are so close to splendens and not so big a jump in care and personality.
Yes, the less splendens-y fish have a more, I don't know, primitive/prehistoric look to them that I love. I will say my imbellis are quite fun to have around due to their clownish personalities, but my smaragdina still think I want to kill them. They don't even come out to eat live food until I've left the room. The only reason I know they eat is because they're still alive XD I continue to be more drawn to staring at the albimarginata.

Quote:
On other wild related news, sucked two fry out of my rutilans tank and have about a dozen or so that dad is guarding in his log and won't let me near. Thinking I might strip the tank down and catch as many fry as I can to grow-out separately. Only trouble is they are practically impossible to see and to find in there.
The visual image of daddy guarding his little ones is too cute! What have you been using to nab the fry?

Quote:
Decided I am going to sell my unimaculata pair after the female jumped out on me for the second time after I just took off the lid to clean their tank. It's not fun scrabbling around on the floor at 11:30pm trying to find a fish who ends up on the complete opposite side of the room.
Yikes, again?! Fingers crossed for a less jumpy F1. I was jut browsing my local fish forums and someone lost their macrostoma female to the same problem. I felt so bad for her, I can't even imagine losing such an expensive fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckee View Post
I covet wild types, but I've got this serious "caged bird" complex, too.
I totally understand how you feel. You may want to look more into the IBC's species preservation project if you have interest in wild types and potentially keeping some. For many species, captivity is likely their only shot at continuation as a species, so the whole "caged bird" issue kind of goes out the window (well, unless you want to move to Hawaii and keep an open pond of them haha). Also, it seems to me that even wild-caught fish adapt happily to captivity if the aquarist is skilled at mimicking elements of their natural habitats, and taking their space needs into consideration. Many of the biologists who originally discovered species and local variations of species plucked them out of their natural homes, carted them to the U.S. and successfully bred them and spread out their genes :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #133 
LittleBettaFish

I use a measuring scoop to corral and catch the fry or a turkey baster with a large catchment area at the top. I just move them over keeping them in water from their old tank only until the next day when I slowly drip in some new water.

Wild-caught bettas really don't care that the are kept in aquariums, as long as your parameters are good and your conditions suitable for the species you are keeping.

The only way to secure the future of any animal facing extinction due to habitat destruction is to have captive breeding programs set-up. Betta persephone are critically endangered in the wild and found only in one or two places. Yet I have a whole tank of fry growing out. Without these fish being placed in the hands of responsible hobbyists, they would undoubtedly become extinct once their remaining habitat was destroyed by palm oil plantation or highways (I forget which).

My original rutilans pair was wild-caught and yet they have thrived in my tank. Even at two years old, and after a recent brush with death, they spawn at least once a week for me and are still healthy and full of life.

I didn't see them for a month or so when I first got them. However, now they are quite content to spawn in front of me and the male always likes to show me his big mouthful of eggs haha.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #134 
babystarz

Well, I just had a very fruitful shopping trip almost entirely by accident. I stopped at the home improvement store because I'm out of sand and dirt for NPT's, and they happened to have peat moss on sale! So I get to start playing with it right away!
Then, since I had the peat moss, I figured I might as well get another tank. Stopped at Petsmart and got a glass 10 gallon tank for $12. I debated getting a versa-top cover because I have found them for cheaper online before, but I decided I didn't feel like digging around and waiting for shipping so I bit the bullet. As I was leaving the store, I realized that what I'd bought (2 bottles of prime, 1 bottle of stress coat, 1 tank, 1 cover, and 2 packages of Hikari frozen BBS) seemed like it should have cost more than $37. I assumed I'd picked up something that just wasn't marked for clearance. When I got home I looked at my receipt and realized that cashier never rang up the versa-top o.O So... *cough* I got it for free. Can't beat that price online. It was clearly visible, I put everything inside the tank for her to scan so the only thing I can think of is she assumed I was buying a kit or something. Oops!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #135 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Well, I just had a very fruitful shopping trip almost entirely by accident. I stopped at the home improvement store because I'm out of sand and dirt for NPT's, and they happened to have peat moss on sale! So I get to start playing with it right away!
Then, since I had the peat moss, I figured I might as well get another tank. Stopped at Petsmart and got a glass 10 gallon tank for $12. I debated getting a versa-top cover because I have found them for cheaper online before, but I decided I didn't feel like digging around and waiting for shipping so I bit the bullet. As I was leaving the store, I realized that what I'd bought (2 bottles of prime, 1 bottle of stress coat, 1 tank, 1 cover, and 2 packages of Hikari frozen BBS) seemed like it should have cost more than $37. I assumed I'd picked up something that just wasn't marked for clearance. When I got home I looked at my receipt and realized that cashier never rang up the versa-top o.O So... *cough* I got it for free. Can't beat that price online. It was clearly visible, I put everything inside the tank for her to scan so the only thing I can think of is she assumed I was buying a kit or something. Oops!
PS - I moved the smaragdina pair into their planted tank the other week, and I can tell they're LOVING it now after recovering from the traumatic experience of me catching and moving them. Especially the big piece of Mopani driftwood. It has a little cavelike area under the front of it, and the male felt brave enough to poke his head out and stare at me while I was in the room today :)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #136 
LittleBettaFish

Wilds definitely prefer a lot of available cover in their tanks. I use grapevine and manzanita branches in my tanks as they provide lots of areas for them to hide in. I am also a java moss hoarder.

Are your pair of smaragdina in together or separated by a divider? I can't recall if it was you having problems with spawning them or not?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #137 
babystarz

Quote:
Wilds definitely prefer a lot of available cover in their tanks. I use grapevine and manzanita branches in my tanks as they provide lots of areas for them to hide in. I am also a java moss hoarder.

Are your pair of smaragdina in together or separated by a divider? I can't recall if it was you having problems with spawning them or not?
Mine are together. I haven't tried to get them to spawn, I bought them as juveniles so they haven't been old enough yet. The tank also has lots of cholla wood logs, subswassertang clumps, pennywort, ancharis, camboba, and frogbit to hide in. There is some java moss but it's barely alive at the moment; the mopani wood was in my imbellis tank and the moss attached didn't get enough light when my lily plant had a growth explosion.

Last edited by babystarz; 11-18-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #138 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Shy smarigdina, eh? I didn't know they were known for that or I might have opted for something more personable. He wasn't shy when I first got him, though. For the first couple of weeks he'd come out, jump over an inch for bloodworms, flair at his reflection in the rim of his tank, pose for pictures (won the photo contest by the largest margin I’ve ever see), parade around fully finned-out, stare at me.

Then he started hiding more, coming out more slowly to feed, not jumping. Then he got painfully shy. I put in more plants, some Java moss, darkened things up with Rooibos tea. Now I never see him. I’m wondering if it has something to do with living in and accommodating to a higher pH.

Actually, that’s not quite true. In the morning, if I'm patient, he'll cautiously break cover and slowly come for bloodworm-on-a-stick. He'll hit it like a shark...and then, faster than I can follow, dive back into the weeds. He looks nice and darkly colored those 10/20 seconds I see him every day, but he doesn’t have his neon on. Are wilds the only Betta with that remarkable photophore action?

LBF, are you referring to actual grapevine, the kind that grapes grow on? I can get that easily. Better yet, I can get Manzanita to stretch the Java moss over and around. We have two different sizes growing on the property and, nearby, we have these 30 foot tall Madrone trees, which are related to Manzanita, peeling red bark and all. (Manzanita is Spanish for “little apple.”) Should have known it grew in Australia; you have the soil and the climate for it.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #139 
babystarz

Quote:
Shy smarigdina, eh? I didn't know they were known for that or I might have opted for something more personable. He wasn't shy when I first got him, though. For the first couple of weeks he'd come out, jump over an inch for bloodworms, flair at his reflection in the rim of his tank, pose for pictures (won the photo contest by the largest margin I’ve ever see), parade around fully finned-out, stare at me.
Haha I know how you feel. My male is bad, but the female is worse. I see her maybe once a week. I will test out my peat moss in their tank to see if a lower pH changes anything about their shy behavior.

Quote:
LBF, are you referring to actual grapevine, the kind that grapes grow on? I can get that easily. Better yet, I can get Manzanita to stretch the Java moss over and around. We have two different sizes growing on the property and, nearby, we have these 30 foot tall Madrone trees, which are related to Manzanita, peeling red bark and all. (Manzanita is Spanish for “little apple.”) Should have known it grew in Australia; you have the soil and the climate for it.
SOOO JEALOUS!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #140 
LittleBettaFish

I'm not sure whether goldvine is grapevine or not. This is what is sold as 'goldvine' here in Australia.

Pisces Natural Products - Gold Vine

Nah, manzanita doesn't grow here. Costs a fortune for a decent sized piece and the range is pretty limited, none of the nice flashy pieces you can get over there. I just picked up a few branches here and there to use in aquascaping and when I lost interest in that they ended up in my wild betta tanks.

All wilds have the potential to be shy. If I move too fast or cast a shadow over the tank when even my tank-bred fish are not expecting it they shoot off and hide in their moss. Some of mine I don't even see until feeding time, when they will come out and snack on some blackworms. Have to do a lot of head counts as I can never tell if all my fish are there or not.