Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #21 
Oldfishlady

I have too many to count...lol.....I have at least 200-300+ more or less...Ages range from newly hatched to 4+ years. Kept in 1gal-to-75gal tanks that are all heavy planted soil based. Tanks that are over 3 months old and over 10 gals get 2-3 water changes a year. Smaller tanks and fry tanks get more water changes that vary. Tanks 10gal and smaller don't have filters and 20gal and larger will sometimes have a filter of some type-but not running all the time for water movement-Main filtration in all tank are live plants.

Here is a pic of some of my tanks

Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #22 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfish View Post
I have eight bettas - 7 males and 1 female. I either have them in 2.5g or 3.5g's, unfiltered with weekly waterchanges, and heated. I do use smaller 1 gallons for a temporary or hospital tank.
Are your tanks planted?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #23 
5150wicd4fish

@ oldfishlady...WOW, I have never seen so many planted tanks...beautiful.
thats my dream..I only have 1 betta in a 20g long, is planted but ordered more to arrive tomorrow. Do you use c02? or liquid co2?
I have 3 empty tanks, a 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon, and 8 gallon.
I never new you can put a fish in a 5 gallon or less, without cycle??? That would freak me out...reason being I have had 36 gallon, and now have 60 gallon, community tank, either had BB kept..or only did non-fish cycle...
went to my local fish store,two days ago and saw a peach color or pale VT, and now can't stop thinking about him...want to go back and get him..:D
5150wicd4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #24 
5150wicd4fish

Opps I saw another post and you answered about co2..thanks :D
5150wicd4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #25 
Tikibirds

I want my planted tank to look like that
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #26 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I have too many to count...lol.....I have at least 200-300+ more or less...Ages range from newly hatched to 4+ years. Kept in 1gal-to-75gal tanks that are all heavy planted soil based. Tanks that are over 3 months old and over 10 gals get 2-3 water changes a year. Smaller tanks and fry tanks get more water changes that vary. Tanks 10gal and smaller don't have filters and 20gal and larger will sometimes have a filter of some type-but not running all the time for water movement-Main filtration in all tank are live plants.

Here is a pic of some of my tanks

I hope i can have a fish room like that some day! Soo many plants! I'm jealous. Especially at how little you have to do water changes for that many tanks!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #27 
Setsuna

I have a pair of wild caught imbellis, 1 pair of wild caught guitar smaragdina, 1 wild caught imbellis male, 1 pair of pure blood wild type splenden, a 5.5 g tank with 100+ frys so you can say I have a lot of bettas but not as much as Oldfishlady her picture just amazed me

Last edited by Setsuna; 11-19-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #28 
LittleBettaFish

I have two normal splendens, one female CT and one male HMPK both are imports from Thailand. They live in a divided 12 inch cube that is planted, cycled and only gets water changes once every fortnight.

The rest of my bettas are wilds. I have around 30 odd adults of various species, as well as around 50 odd fry. The adults get a small water change once every two days, while the fry grow-outs get daily 50% water changes.

This is an example of my typical wild betta set-up. Very different from how my splendens are kept.

I personally like to keep my bettas in a minimum of 2.5 gallons with a preference for either heavily planted or cycled tanks. Just makes it that much easier to care for them and also ensures the best possible water quality. When I had around 30 odd uncycled tanks, it was just too much work doing the necessary water changes and maintenance on a daily basis.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #29 
SpookyTooth

As of nearly two weeks ago I have a single male betta spledens who has various deformities. He lives in 7gal heated, planted aquarium that also houses a cycled filter and multiple species of snail. He's called Red (for the lack of a more original name), here is a photo of him (please excuse the blue ring, I used that to feed him while he was on flakes to stop them floating everywhere, I should take it out now that he eats pellets):

His aquarium is a bit of a root jungle at the moment; I've had some plant dieback due to negligence on my part and I'm also battling some string algae issues so fertilizers aren't being introduced for a while. Photoperiod has been dropped too. I do a single 50% water change once a week.

I also have a 4gal aquarium that only houses a few snails; it housed my elderly betta, Kaze, until he passed away and is heated, filtered and cycled. I've been adding plant clippings gradually, trying to get it at least somewhat decently planted but inspiration is lacking. Getting a little anxious to put another animal in there but don't really know what. I do a 50% water change on it per week at the moment to make sure water quality stays good for the snails (one assassin snail and lots of bladder, Malaysian trumpet and ramshorn snails).

I used to have immense issues with water changes due to an illness I've had for eight and a half years; water changes still take a lot of strength out of me but they are much simpler and quicker now that I use a squeeze-activated aquarium siphon. It's funny how a simplistic 3 item can make your aquatic world so much more enjoyable and relaxing.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #30 
candymoon

I only have one~ He is a halfmoon in a three gallon tank. He is not filtered only because I have heard bad things about halfmoons and filters. I do my water changed on a two week scale: 100% on Saturday, 25% on Wednesday, 50% on Saturday, 25% on Wednesday then back to 100%.

I am kind of like you. I want another fish but I am a little worried about the work, especially since I am in college. However there is this BEAUTIFUL little female at petco, and I am so scared she is going to die there. She is still doing fine at the moment, even though it has been a week since I last saw her, and I just...ugh. I tried to get my friend to buy her (even offered to pay) but alas, it was no good. So...the debate in my mind goes on. XD
candymoon is offline   Reply With Quote