Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #1 
hynesh9792

Fertilizer?

My husband was going to buy a C02 diffuser but it scared me reading all that could go wrong.

I want to keep my plants healthy. Does anyone have a suggestion for fertilizer? I already have good lighting so that's not an issue.

Thanks!
hynesh9792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The driving force behind plant growth and successful planted tanks...Is proper color temp light...Without the correct color temp they can't use ferts or energy for photosynthesis.....Then-you have proper light penetration to plants, reflection, photoperiod and proper planting that all have a role.

You have high tech, med tech, low tech...Then the natural soil based.....All have special needs and their own set of problems.

Some plants will do great in one system and fail in the exact same system sitting side by side.

I keep soil based systems that are low tech-nothing fancy...I don't use any added ferts or inject CO2. All have 6500k Daylight bulbs that are changed every 12 months. With 1-3 bulbs that vary in watts based on length. Over open top tanks for good light penetration. On a 10-12h/day PP-depending on season.
My biggest problem is the massive plant growth, however, I am limited on the species of plants I can keep...but not many.....

Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #3 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The driving force behind plant growth and successful planted tanks...Is proper color temp light...Without the correct color temp they can't use ferts or energy for photosynthesis.....Then-you have proper light penetration to plants, reflection, photoperiod and proper planting that all have a role.

You have high tech, med tech, low tech...Then the natural soil based.....All have special needs and their own set of problems.

Some plants will do great in one system and fail in the exact same system sitting side by side.

I keep soil based systems that are low tech-nothing fancy...I don't use any added ferts or inject CO2. All have 6500k Daylight bulbs that are changed every 12 months. With 1-3 bulbs that vary in watts based on length. Over open top tanks for good light penetration. On a 10-12h/day PP-depending on season.
My biggest problem is the massive plant growth, however, I am limited on the species of plants I can keep...but not many.....

Wow, that pic brings back memories. Do you need to run a dehumidifier?
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote