Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 
dnelli

Exclamation new to betta fish need help

i just bought a betta fish from a school fundraiser but it is in a half gallon tank and the water is too cold. i've been using heated water bottles next to it and covering it with blankets at night to keep it warm.

I want to get him a new tank preferably filtered and a heater. I know everyone says they need a 5 to 10 gallon tank but that is too big for my dorm can anyone offer some cheaper 3 gallon tank ideas or do i need a bigger tank for a heater. i might be able to get a five gallon but only if i have too.

Also any live plants that i can keep in that size tank thanks.
dnelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #2 
stareyes

Hi Dnelli, I just got my first betta about a month and a half ago and I am a student too so I know where you are coming from. It doesn't need to be a 5 galleon to 10 galleon, but you need at least a 1 galleon. I have the mini bow tank from petsmart, and it works great! I know they have a 2.5 galleon one that is under 30 dollars and is designed to fit on a desk. There are also many different heaters you can go with, and you can definitely heat a 2.5 galleon no problem. The heaters will tell you what galleon sizes they are designed for. Please make sure you have a thermometer also, they only cost around 3 dollars). The most important part is doing the necessary water changes (check out oldfishlady water change recommendations sticky). Walmart and Petco also have some very affordable tanks.
Welcome to the forum and can't wait to see pictures of your little guy :)
stareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

2 gallons is actually perfectly acceptable. There are a number of threads with wonderfully planted 2 or 2.5 gallon tanks. I personally have one, a drum bowl. These are not as easy to keep or clean as the nice $15 2.5 gallons that petsmart sells with a lid. There are also a number of heater available that will fit in these tanks. However, a word of caution: get a heater that is adjustable, not preset. This is an excellent one: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...s=elite+heater

Moss balls, while expensive, are amazing little plants. Java fern, anubius, and even anacharis are nice easy to find and keep plants.

Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #4 
sainthogan

I got a really nice 3 gallon tank that came with a nice quiet adjustable filter, so you can adjust its flow to suit your bettas needs. It also came with a light. The heater is separate. I got it all at Petsmart. It's a marineland crescent tank and is quite compact. I can't remember how much I paid for it though. For that size you'll need a 10 or 17 watt heater for a tank that size. A 10 watt will work for a 2.5 gallon tank as well.
sainthogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #5 
sunstar93

I am a college kid too. My first tank was a plastic 3 gallon half-moon shaped from walmart. It came with an airstone and filter and it was less than $30. As for heaters, I have the Top Fin adjustable 25 watt and it heats up the 3 gallon just fine (I was using it for a rescue tank).
Petsmart usually has plants that are pretty small and can be put into a small tank. The only thing is to make sure to have a light!! (I put some swords into the 3 gallon when I first got it, not realizing/remembering that plants need a light source other than a lamp and they ended up rotting...).
Good luck on your new tank/fish!!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

A lamp will actually work just fine. Lots of people here use just desk lamps over their tanks. The only thing that matters is getting a bulb in the right spectrum. Once you have that the plants will grow. A CFL bulb should be 6500K for the best plant growth.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #7 
stareyes

kytkattin, your tank is gorgeous!!!
stareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #8 
Kytkattin

Thank you, but it really isn't as great as some of them here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=120164
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #9 
dnelli

thanks for all the great suggestions so far and one more question any opinion on an under gravel filter, do those work well?
dnelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #10 
Myates

Anything 1+ gallons would be great for them.. heater wise, look for an adjustable 25w heater, as it will fit in 1-4 gallons no problem.
Don't use desk lamps, as when you turn them off at night, the water will cool really fast and once more your fish is back in the cold. Going from warm to cold will cause health issues, lower his immunity, slower his metabolism and if too quickly, can cause shock. Never idea to warm with just a lamp.. has to be stable. You are on the right track for wanting a heater.

I purchase from here comes within a week or less- I've used from the mini 25w to the 150w with no issues. The mini should fit in most tanks that are above a gallon, are adjustable (can't see the numbers, but you can watch the thermometer until you know where is the best setting - it goes pretty high, so you just need to barely turn it on for smaller tanks.
As for the live plants.. anubias tend to be good, can weigh it down by tieing it with either fishing line or sewing string to a rock or driftwood.. naja grass, java grass, java ferns.. those are just some low light - hardy plants. A moss ball doesn't actually take care of the algae problems, sadly.. it takes a bunch, etc, to do anything. But having a couple is still good as it is still live plants. Just you will have to rid any algae yourself is all.

Good luck, you are going to be a great owner :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote