Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 
aemaki09
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Critiques on my Double Tail please?

So I found this guy the other day and am really interested in breeding him. So I'd like your critiques please!
Sorry about the poor quality pics.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
    
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #2 
homegrown terror
Member
 
homegrown terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tennessee
is he from a chain pet store, local pet store or a breeder? if he's from a chain store, then right off the bat it's a no. pet store bettas have genetics like a flower-laden minefield: beautiful to look at, but dangerous stuff could be lurking underneath such as recessive deformities that he doesn't express but the babies could. if he's from a local, family owned pet store, there's a good chance they can put you in touch with his breeder, who can give you a rundown of his lineage, and better prepare you for the kind of fry he'll produce. if he's a direct breeder sale, then what i said just there goes as well.

personally i would NOT try to breed him. his topline is really lumpy (beyond a "flaw" to a "deformity" i'd say) and the leading edge of his dorsal tapers way too much. his tail is fairly symmetrical, but the upper lobe is noticeably smaller than the lower, resulting in what's called a "mitten tail." i personally think mitten tails are adorable, but unless you know fifty to two hundred people who'd love to have a red and blue mitten tailed betta, you're gonna have a hard time finding homes for his fry, since he, and most likely his offspring, will never be show/breeder quality bettas.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #3 
Setsuna
Member
 
Setsuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
I say just do it reguardless wat other people say. You never know untill you try it. So wat if you dont know where he came from or what is parents look like. Just find him a red split tail/double tail and your set good luck
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #4 
aemaki09
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Thanks!, I wanted to know what people thought of him other than "oh hes cute!" And I will have to think about it some more before/if I go through with a spawn.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #5 
Mo
Member
 
Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
is he from a chain pet store, local pet store or a breeder? if he's from a chain store, then right off the bat it's a no. pet store bettas have genetics like a flower-laden minefield: beautiful to look at, but dangerous stuff could be lurking underneath such as recessive deformities that he doesn't express but the babies could. if he's from a local, family owned pet store, there's a good chance they can put you in touch with his breeder, who can give you a rundown of his lineage, and better prepare you for the kind of fry he'll produce. if he's a direct breeder sale, then what i said just there goes as well.

personally i would NOT try to breed him. his topline is really lumpy (beyond a "flaw" to a "deformity" i'd say) and the leading edge of his dorsal tapers way too much. his tail is fairly symmetrical, but the upper lobe is noticeably smaller than the lower, resulting in what's called a "mitten tail." i personally think mitten tails are adorable, but unless you know fifty to two hundred people who'd love to have a red and blue mitten tailed betta, you're gonna have a hard time finding homes for his fry, since he, and most likely his offspring, will never be show/breeder quality bettas.
Homegrown terror... Pet store Bettas aren't much different than Thai imports in regards to genes most of the time. I remember hearing from breeders that there's no difference between seeing a nice fish on Aquabid and a nice fish in a petstore because you never know the genetics of each one most if the time..

Also.. I don't really like this fish, he's nice but not the quality I would go for
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #6 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Pet store bettas are fine to breed... many people that have won shows have won with fish bred down from pet store bettas. It's people's personal preference on what they wish to breed, and where they got their fish - but store bettas are just as good as all the rest.

He is pretty in an unique/color way, but that is about it, imo..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #7 
ChibreneyDragon
Member
 
ChibreneyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Carolina
Honestly the "Beware Petstore Genetics" is a hoax. The majority of chain stores get their bettas FROM the same thailand breeders that sell on Aquabid, the ones on Aquabid just tend to have a higher quality. Even the local privately owned petstore I go to gets imports.

It may take more time looking for the appropriate matches and quality, and more spawns to breed down the line, but you could truly get some amazing results.

And its sad, but if you have deformities, you can always cull your spawn to pare down the amount of fish to improve your line.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #8 
aemaki09
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
So what if I bred him to a good quality CT female I have? I am really just looking to improve finnage?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #9 
ChibreneyDragon
Member
 
ChibreneyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
So what if I bred him to a good quality CT female I have? I am really just looking to improve finnage?
Try looking for a DT plakat, or if you KNOW a breeder, find a DT genotype.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #10 
homegrown terror
Member
 
homegrown terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibreneyDragon View Post
Honestly the "Beware Petstore Genetics" is a hoax. The majority of chain stores get their bettas FROM the same thailand breeders that sell on Aquabid, the ones on Aquabid just tend to have a higher quality. Even the local privately owned petstore I go to gets imports.

It may take more time looking for the appropriate matches and quality, and more spawns to breed down the line, but you could truly get some amazing results.

And its sad, but if you have deformities, you can always cull your spawn to pare down the amount of fish to improve your line.
i thought most chain petstores got theirs from industrial breeders like segrest farms, not from independent breeders, either domestic or import.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New double tail Polishdiva1 Betta Pictures 2 10-28-2012 08:11 PM
Double Tail SeniorD Betta Chat 9 03-16-2012 01:28 AM
Double Tail ??? mernincrazy8525 Breeding Betta Fish 4 04-01-2011 08:22 PM
The New Double Tail! Omboc Betta Pictures 6 03-14-2011 04:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.