Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Critiques on my Double Tail please?

So I found this guy the other day and am really interested in breeding him. So I'd like your critiques please!
Sorry about the poor quality pics.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

is he from a chain pet store, local pet store or a breeder? if he's from a chain store, then right off the bat it's a no. pet store bettas have genetics like a flower-laden minefield: beautiful to look at, but dangerous stuff could be lurking underneath such as recessive deformities that he doesn't express but the babies could. if he's from a local, family owned pet store, there's a good chance they can put you in touch with his breeder, who can give you a rundown of his lineage, and better prepare you for the kind of fry he'll produce. if he's a direct breeder sale, then what i said just there goes as well.

personally i would NOT try to breed him. his topline is really lumpy (beyond a "flaw" to a "deformity" i'd say) and the leading edge of his dorsal tapers way too much. his tail is fairly symmetrical, but the upper lobe is noticeably smaller than the lower, resulting in what's called a "mitten tail." i personally think mitten tails are adorable, but unless you know fifty to two hundred people who'd love to have a red and blue mitten tailed betta, you're gonna have a hard time finding homes for his fry, since he, and most likely his offspring, will never be show/breeder quality bettas.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #3 
Setsuna

I say just do it reguardless wat other people say. You never know untill you try it. So wat if you dont know where he came from or what is parents look like. Just find him a red split tail/double tail and your set good luck
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Thanks!, I wanted to know what people thought of him other than "oh hes cute!" And I will have to think about it some more before/if I go through with a spawn.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #5 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
is he from a chain pet store, local pet store or a breeder? if he's from a chain store, then right off the bat it's a no. pet store bettas have genetics like a flower-laden minefield: beautiful to look at, but dangerous stuff could be lurking underneath such as recessive deformities that he doesn't express but the babies could. if he's from a local, family owned pet store, there's a good chance they can put you in touch with his breeder, who can give you a rundown of his lineage, and better prepare you for the kind of fry he'll produce. if he's a direct breeder sale, then what i said just there goes as well.

personally i would NOT try to breed him. his topline is really lumpy (beyond a "flaw" to a "deformity" i'd say) and the leading edge of his dorsal tapers way too much. his tail is fairly symmetrical, but the upper lobe is noticeably smaller than the lower, resulting in what's called a "mitten tail." i personally think mitten tails are adorable, but unless you know fifty to two hundred people who'd love to have a red and blue mitten tailed betta, you're gonna have a hard time finding homes for his fry, since he, and most likely his offspring, will never be show/breeder quality bettas.
Homegrown terror... Pet store Bettas aren't much different than Thai imports in regards to genes most of the time. I remember hearing from breeders that there's no difference between seeing a nice fish on Aquabid and a nice fish in a petstore because you never know the genetics of each one most if the time..

Also.. I don't really like this fish, he's nice but not the quality I would go for
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #6 
Myates

Pet store bettas are fine to breed... many people that have won shows have won with fish bred down from pet store bettas. It's people's personal preference on what they wish to breed, and where they got their fish - but store bettas are just as good as all the rest.

He is pretty in an unique/color way, but that is about it, imo..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #7 
ChibreneyDragon

Honestly the "Beware Petstore Genetics" is a hoax. The majority of chain stores get their bettas FROM the same thailand breeders that sell on Aquabid, the ones on Aquabid just tend to have a higher quality. Even the local privately owned petstore I go to gets imports.

It may take more time looking for the appropriate matches and quality, and more spawns to breed down the line, but you could truly get some amazing results.

And its sad, but if you have deformities, you can always cull your spawn to pare down the amount of fish to improve your line.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #8 
aemaki09

So what if I bred him to a good quality CT female I have? I am really just looking to improve finnage?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #9 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
So what if I bred him to a good quality CT female I have? I am really just looking to improve finnage?
Try looking for a DT plakat, or if you KNOW a breeder, find a DT genotype.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #10 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibreneyDragon View Post
Honestly the "Beware Petstore Genetics" is a hoax. The majority of chain stores get their bettas FROM the same thailand breeders that sell on Aquabid, the ones on Aquabid just tend to have a higher quality. Even the local privately owned petstore I go to gets imports.

It may take more time looking for the appropriate matches and quality, and more spawns to breed down the line, but you could truly get some amazing results.

And its sad, but if you have deformities, you can always cull your spawn to pare down the amount of fish to improve your line.
i thought most chain petstores got theirs from industrial breeders like segrest farms, not from independent breeders, either domestic or import.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote