Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #11 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharrrky View Post
Thanks for all the information. I have a new betta now its purple pink and blue like the sunset. I am looking for a heater for smaller tanks.
Marina makes a preset heater for smaller tanks. The 10w is the one you would want. However, adjustable heaters are better. Just remember that if you do a 100% water change, to acclimate him to the new water's temperature (as you discovered, very painful results), or if you do a 50% water change, then make sure your new water is fairly close to the tank's temperatures - slightly colder is better than warmer (for reasons you have already discovered), but not too much colder. My fish will tolerate room temperature water when I do a 50% water change, but she doesn't like water warmer than what she is used to.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #12 
xShainax

When I do water changes, I make sure the water is the same temp of the old water and after putting conditioner in the tank, I dump them in. Never had a death from it yet. >.>
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #13 
Sharrrky

Ok so i checked my tank is not 2.5 its 1.1 :( I dont know but the tank label said 2.5 so i think that's bad for my fish. But my new fish swims around making lots of bubbles on top then sometimes going down and just sitting there.
Sharrrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #14 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharrrky View Post
Ok so i checked my tank is not 2.5 its 1.1 :( I dont know but the tank label said 2.5 so i think that's bad for my fish. But my new fish swims around making lots of bubbles on top then sometimes going down and just sitting there.
What tank do you have?

You could get away with a 1 gallon provided its heated and you are able to keep up with the necessary water changes(at least 2 50%s and 1 100% per week). Is not the end of the world. It wouldn't hurt to however(and I personally would recommend you do) to, in the future at least, look into upgrading. IME/O most bettas with the exception of special cases(large finned males/blind or disabled fish)really do better and appreciate something in the 2.5-5+ gallon range.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote