Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #1 
mathchickie

what is this white patch of stuff on his tail

Hello all, sorry for the size of the photos but what is this on the rear top of his tail about a quarter up from the tip of his tail???

I will have had Lucky three years in April, I found his cup sitting in a parking lot of all places. He is happy and a great eater, today though I noticed this feather white patch located about a quarter of the up from the tip of his tail. It wasn't there yesterday that I was able to see. I always interact with him several times a day as do my parents and neither of them noticed it either.

I treated it with betta fix as it is the only thing I have in the house in an effort to slow whatever it is down. He is acting okay just a bit sulky but he is eating. He does not have any sores or other patches on his body that I can see though the tail under this white feather patch does not look right and is ragged and black in color.

I just changed his tank a couple of days ago, though I will admit his water change was severly past due. :( I swear I am not a bad betta mommy.

Help I thought it might be Columnaris(??) but it does not match any pictures that I have seen. I did see him pull his tail free from his plant after the water change. Could that have caused it??? Help.
mathchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #2 
MissLyss1024

It looks like a fungus. I THINK white cottony patches are associated with columnaris. One of my boys had the same thing and I picked up API Fungus Cure and followed the directions and it cleared right up. He may lose that part of his tail so get something ASAP.
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #3 
logisticsguy

I agree that it may well be Columnaris. It is not a death sentence.

Here is a page with good info.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/columnaris.html
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #4 
Angelostass

It is the fungus which fishes generally catches on their body.Buy some water purifier chemical from the shop. I too had faced such problem and lost so many fishes.So please bring some purifier immediately until she dies.

-----------------------------------------
The doctors excuses are readily available at web and can be easily downloaded and used.

Last edited by Angelostass; 11-23-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Angelostass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help confused, sick betta