Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #21 
koakritters

or there's this one
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

tank, lighting, filter... just doesn't have a heater...
koakritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #22 
sunstar93

I have that one! I also have the TopFin Adjustable Submersible heater. I recommend 50 watts for a 10 gallon. (Right now that are having it on sale for about $15). I learned the hard way that it is better to buy an adjustable heater in the beginning (I have 2 non adjsutable heaters sitting in my closet right now...).
I have my male betta in it right now, with some cories.
And if you don't wanna do live plants, PetCo has some silk ones that are pretty good, a good selection to decorate the tank with.
Good luck with your tank!!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #23 
paloverde

You still need to be mindful of what kind and the stocking levels in a 10 gal.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #24 
LizzyP

If this is your first tank I suggest holding off on tankmates until you get the feel of bettas and their needs...Just a suggestion.

Petco has the $1 per gallon sale pretty regularly, if there is one close to you. However, it's only on tanks 10 gallons and up. A 10 gallon aquarium for $10, you really can't beat that, you just have to check at the store regularly since it isn't available online. Just keep in mind if you have a 10 gallon, you'll want a filter and you'll want to cycle it to keep the water pristine for your fishy friend.

I personally try to stay away from Walmart fish supplies. I've found bottles of water conditioner that are expired, tank gravel that disintegrated when it got wet, decorations not approved for aquarium use and overall not great supplies. Petco and Petsmart have the best decorations since you know they are aquarium safe.

Trust me, you want to do this right the first time. I probably have $50 worth of things that I thought were "okay" for bettas until I read up on them. Even with all the supplies it really isn't cheap to take care of them. You'll want a gravel vac, water conditioner (which is a NEED), medications if they get sick or injured, food (the good brands are more expensive then the crappy ones), things like that. Then that's not to consider if you have live plants. I'm not trying to scare you off of getting a fish, I think everyone should be able to enjoy betta fish. They just aren't something you throw in a vase and forget about, they're just like a cat or dog. They need care, time and money.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #25 
NorthernLights

not to rain on the parade

I don't mean to rain on the parade, and I am very glad you want to get a betta...

I just want to check that you understand how much you are getting into. Really and truly, you are going to spend $100 by the time all is said and done if you want to take proper care of this fish. You seem to sincerely want to care well for your animals, so I just thought I would give you a price snapshot:

Tank: $15-30
Adjustable heater: $15-30
Water Conditioner: $5-6
Thermometer:$2-4
Good Betta Food (Omega One Betta Buffet or New Life Spectrum): $5-7
Silk and/or plastic plants: $10
Aquarium Salt: $3-7
Epsom Salt: $3-7
API Stress Coat: $3-6
gravel:$4
plastic bowl set for cleanings, dedicated to fish use and never used with soap: $6
small dish to soak pellets in prior to feeding: $1
water testing kit $30-35 (don't bother with the cheaper paper strip tests, they are not accurate)

That not even including some of the useful medications you may wish to keep on hand that often run $10-15 each, and a lot of useful tools that make things much easier, like a dedicated colander, siphon/baster, seperate hospital tank, etc.

It is NOT cheap, and ironically, bettas probably are the easiest fish to take care of.

If you really want a betta, why don't you spend a few months gathering the needed supplies. That way you can be well-prepared when you actually get your fish, and it will be much easier on your budget. You can also spend the time researching more on this board, so you will be really ready for your fish when you finally bring him or her home!
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #26 
koakritters

has anyone tried using the petco pet keepers large size plastic tank? I think the label reads that it's 3 gallons, it's pretty blurry... but the dimensions are 14.5 X 8.5 X 9.75 which is bigger than the 2.5 gallon glass aquariums... plus this one comes with a lid!
koakritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #27 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Getting everything you need for the proper care of your Betta sure adds up fast but I dont regret one penny I have spent on Perseus he is so awesome as all Betta are and his care is proper care is important to me and it not always easy there is so much to learn to keep these guys healthy. Good luck I hope you find the perfect tank for your Betta and a heater too !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #28 
OrangeAugust

I have that first one from when I had another female, and I don't like it. It's very cheaply made, and the LED light is really weird. You can change it to white, red, blue, or green, or all at the same time, or automatically changing every few seconds. I think it's kind of lame anyway. I just kept the white one on, but it's very dim and makes everything look a strange color. I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know anything about that second tank, though. But it looks similar.

Also, someone might have linked this, but Petsmart has a rectangular, glass 2.5 gallon tank with a flat, glass lid. I use that one for one of my bettas and it's a pretty good tank. Because there's no hole cut in it for the heater chord, the lid rests on top of the chord, leaving just enough of a gap to let some air in, so you don't have to worry about depriving your fish of oxygen.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 11-19-2012 at 09:19 AM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote