Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #41 
KRTrenkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
KR how big is that it looks huge and what is that cave?
I'm not good at guess or knowing how much it can hold, but it's dimensions are 14.5"L x 8.75"W x 9.75"H (a large kritter keeper)

And the cave is an actual shell of a coconut I got from my LFS.
KRTrenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #42 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
For you water carriers not gifted with Terror's strength (or taste in cocktails), may I suggest cycling your tank to reduce the number and size of the water changes.

Yes a 2g or 3g tank can accept a stable nitrogen cycle if sufficient filter media and substrate are used.

More importantly, the ammonia is lower at all times than in even a carefully maintained and changed uncycled tank.

Cycling is not for the convenience of the keeper but for the health and safety of the fish.
Cycling anything less than 5 gallons is a pain in the rear. And if put in the inexperienced hands it could do more harm than good. Not to mention you should use a filter and sponge media to cycle the tank.

Id actually recommend some strong and easy to care for plants for those who want to lessen their water changes a bit.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #43 
FishyFishy89

Oh. I just realized this is the critter keeper thread and not the 1-2 gallon thread. However, i still stand by my advice
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #44 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmmm quite a few users here amateur or otherwise have cycled their small tanks successfully and their tanks have held a stable cycle. I think the under 5 gallonis an old concept and we need to update accordingly :O
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #45 
Matilda

I recently got 2 of the XL Kritter Keepers & I love them, would buy again in a heartbeat. My neighbor/friend downstairs liked them so much she had me order one for her new little girl betta! All have sponge filters & heaters with live plants. I transfered the old filters over to the new tanks & have let them run together so as to cycle the tanks quicker/easier.

I agree with Aokashi, I've successfully cycled 2 small tanks, a 2 gallon & a 2.5 gallon. IMHO the filter has a lot to do with it.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #46 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRTrenkamp View Post
I'm not good at guess or knowing how much it can hold, but it's dimensions are 14.5"L x 8.75"W x 9.75"H (a large kritter keeper)

And the cave is an actual shell of a coconut I got from my LFS.
Sorry not good with dimensions what about gallon?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #47 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
hmmm quite a few users here amateur or otherwise have cycled their small tanks successfully and their tanks have held a stable cycle. I think the under 5 gallonis an old concept and we need to update accordingly :O
I agree now a gallon or less may be very hard to cycle but possible.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #48 
LizzyP

I have a fully cycled 3 gallon (not a KK) that's holding it's cycle quite well. I agree, I think the old rule of under 5 gallons really needs to be updated.

As far as the topic at hand: I really like the concept of a Critter Keeper. I don't personally have one, but would love to get some. I've heard many people have great luck with them, and they're cheap!
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #49 
Matilda

I believe the large Kritter Keepers hold about 3 gallons.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #50 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think that rule comes from the fact we have better filters and cycling supplies today.