Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #41 
ravenwinds

I currently have 3 divided 10g NPT...I think fish appreciate the effort of real, live plants. The look on some of Thai bettas that come from small jars to me and I acclimate and then plop them in a jungle...they love it!
For this reason alone, I will plant their homes. Divided tanks look bad, aesthetically, but I will always plant them because it's for the fish, not our house decoration. I have come up with a solution, though....for the male fish as well as aesthetics: I have begun tying moss to the plastic grid divider....make it as thick and covered as possible since moss is such a slow grower. I got directions online on how to make a moss wall that you can hang up in the back or side and it will eventually cover that wall like furry wallpaper. It was easy to see how same idea can make the divider have furry wallpaper :)
This way, it limits, until it obscures completely, the line of sight for the 2 bettas.
You could also plant a row or two of a tall plant like some of the larger valisnarias to make the divider/fence more obscured....
I agree with aokashi: start with ghost shrimp...they have a better chance of surviving being locked up with a predator than some of prettier shrimp like RCS Red Cherry Shrimp (or their orange, yellow, or blue cousins)...all of which start at $1/per shrimp and up! You probably want to start with at least 10...
Snails can go in, in my opinion, to tank now....they are pretty hard to kill...might want to put 1 or 2 pellets in per day or every other day...because I don't know how much microscopic food you have available in your tank at the moment...or you could give them some lettuce/spinach/blanched veggies...up to you.....just remove uneaten food everyday.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #42 
sandrac8388

I will try that! Thanks ravenwinds!

the only thing i have in the tank (that snails could eat) right now is propably dead plant matter from unsavable plants. I also have some green fuzzy string stuff on the driftwood. I want to say I have at least 5 tiny snails in there. I will drop a few pellets of food and a bit of lettuce for them to munch on. They are super cute! lol

Thank you everyone for your help! I hope these plants grow super fast so I can start on my next one!
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #43 
SpookyTooth

Your aquarium is absolutely lovely, sandrac! I'm really glad that you found something that works for you and wish you lots of luck with it. You may find you don't need to feed the snails as they should help break down dead and dying plant matter, they're wonderful additions to planted tanks.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #44 
ao
TFK Moderator

No need to feed the snails. if there is dying plant matter, let them do a clean up job first :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #45 
sandrac8388

Ok cool! These little buggers better get to working! LOL ;D
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #46 
kfryman

IMO the tank looks much better now actually! I would still prefer a 6500k light, but a 5100k may work.

Yeah, no need to feed the snails, the plants will provide food when they start to melt and adapt to your water.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #47 
ravenwinds

Yep...its the snails job to help break dead and dying plant matter! You already have the start of your clean up crew! :)
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #48 
bahamut285

@OP: I don't mean to derail this thread, but you have the EXACT same tank as I do, and I was wondering what light bulb you are using? Your tank looks beautiful! I think you did a great job :D

The bulb I'm currently using is the Aqueon mini CFL 50/50:

Does anybody (or OP) know if this is enough lighting in a 5 gallon for plants?
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #49 
sandrac8388

Bahamut, I have that brand but not the exact same bulb. The one I use says the kelvin on the front. I believe it's black and grey box that says 5100k. I'll see if I can find the box here somewhere tonight and then I'll PM you a picture.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #50 
bahamut285

Thanks so much, Sandra! <3
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote