Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #11 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Plants don't need a lot.. usually just kept in bags with moisture. Fish is a whole other thing.. bags, padding, foam, heat packs.. lol

I would pick up at least one snail.. will help keep the algae down. I forget which snail species doesn't breed in fresh water - can probably ask in the tank mates section of the forum.. those you can have multiple. But a single apple snail, or a single any snail would be just fine - a 10 gallon with live plants will easily be able to handle fish and a snail - can easily hold a few more fish if you wanted.

Live plants make a world of difference when it comes to water quality.
I may consider the snail then. I'm not a fan of a ton of algae, my younger brother got a tank when he was 15 and left it in a spot where it got sunlight all day. The whole thing was green, so gross and the fish died. Most likely from lack of water changes and who knows what else in that tank.

I thought about other fish, but...well, bettas it's hard to tell if they'll accept tank-mates or not. I'll have to read a lot more into which species might be okay.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #12 
Wendyjo

Go ahead and start the fishless cycle now. You can use fish food until you get ammonia. Look for plain old ammonia without any sudsing agents or added fragrance. I've always had luck finding this type of ammonia at any Dollar Store.

You will need a master test kit to do any cycle.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

That is strange... A single betta in a ten gallon shouldn't have a problem with a fish in cycle. How often were you doing water changes and how much of the water were you changing? How much and how often have you been feeding him? There is a really good guide here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #14 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
Go ahead and start the fishless cycle now. You can use fish food until you get ammonia. Look for plain old ammonia without any sudsing agents or added fragrance. I've always had luck finding this type of ammonia at any Dollar Store.

You will need a master test kit to do any cycle.
That's what I've done, thank you =) And I will definitely have everything properly tested before acclimating him next month.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #15 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
That is strange... A single betta in a ten gallon shouldn't have a problem with a fish in cycle. How often were you doing water changes and how much of the water were you changing? How much and how often have you been feeding him? There is a really good guide here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
I was doing 50% a week. Ammonia didn't even reach .25 before I did the first change. And he was getting used to it, but he just really, really doesnt like being moved I guess, because when I was acclimating him he was fine, but then he was in the tank and striped again. Since I've moved him back to the 2.5g with AQ Salt, he's fine. Bit his tail again, but he definitely isn't striped, a lot more blue and deeper red. Maybe I wasn't waiting long enough for acclimation.

he also doesnt get as stressed when I'm moving him when I scoop him up in a cup rather than using a net...still hates it though.

I have pellets and freeze-dried bloodworms, and he only got a small bit once a day. But I dont give him the pellets because I did one and he seemed to have trouble getting it down. They're too big. Going to look for smaller ones in the city when I get everything else.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

He might be one of those bettas that just likes smaller spaces. That can happen sometimes. You might just want to keep him in that 2.5 gallon...
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #17 
Syriiven

Quote:
He might be one of those bettas that just likes smaller spaces. That can happen sometimes. You might just want to keep him in that 2.5 gallon...
He really was getting better after a week, but then I had to take him out for the water change and it was like starting the whole stress process again. Though the first time I put him in he had a 3 hour session with his reflection no matter what I did, and he didn't after the water change. So~...iunno. He's definitely staying int he 2.5 until December.

Thinking maybe I'll partition the 10g. 5g is still lots of room for a betta, and if I partition it I can save another one from a horrible cup. Though I don't know much about partitions - my guy is rather aggressive I think, so I'd want one that's not clear...but then do I need a filter and heater for each side?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #18 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
He really was getting better after a week, but then I had to take him out for the water change and it was like starting the whole stress process again. Though the first time I put him in he had a 3 hour session with his reflection no matter what I did, and he didn't after the water change. So~...iunno. He's definitely staying int he 2.5 until December.

Thinking maybe I'll partition the 10g. 5g is still lots of room for a betta, and if I partition it I can save another one from a horrible cup. Though I don't know much about partitions - my guy is rather aggressive I think, so I'd want one that's not clear...but then do I need a filter and heater for each side?
The partition sounds like a good idea. You only need one filter and heater if you use craft mesh, which a lot of people do. I don't really know how to make a divider but there are many people on here who do and I think there might be a sticky about it.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #19 
Syriiven

Quote:
The partition sounds like a good idea. You only need one filter and heater if you use craft mesh, which a lot of people do. I don't really know how to make a divider but there are many people on here who do and I think there might be a sticky about it.
I will definitely look for the info! Thanks for your suggestions ^^

So I'll get plants and one snail for each side.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
I will definitely look for the info! Thanks for your suggestions ^^

So I'll get plants and one snail for each side.
You're welcome! Sounds good! I didn't see a sticky but I'm sure if you search or start a thread you will get some answers...

Tags
10 gallon cycle plant