Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Not to be rude but you never should keep Bettas with other finsh in 5 gallons. You could return them all and get nerites?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #12 
Alcemistnv

No, I can't return them, and I don't want snails, they give me minor panic attacks if I see them.

But, can we please keep this on topic of what could potentially be wrong with my oto? I'd rather not grow a thread about what I should have in my tanks when things have been going VERY well for so long now, and no, I can't return any of my fish, nor am I going to, I'm sorry.

As for Lucky, I'm thinking it's just a matter of she either ran out of food on the one side or she hurt her mouth somehow. :/

She does have some sort of brown lining on the inside of her mouth, so is that normal or not?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

This is something wrong we are trying to figure out the cause. I have had a panic attack I lost all memory of it and 911 was called.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Otos are schooling. They need higher oxygen and cleaner water. A ten will not produce enough food. The Temp changes too rapidly.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #15 
Alcemistnv

No I understand that you're trying to figure out the cause and help, but berating me for having a oto in such a size tank and actually asking about the situation going on in the tank are two different things :/

As of this very moment, she's okay and has been for a few hours now. There is the brown on the inside of her mouth but after taking a few google searches, it looks normal.

She's gone back to sucking on the plants as normal, so I'm wondering if the light cycle could have also been something to do with it (when the light is off she rarely ever stays in one spot)
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #16 
paloverde

If by slime algae do you mean the kind that smells like a swamp and can be easily removed in sheets? If yes, nothing on this planet will eat that. If the algae that you are talking about is just a coating of good old algae or even brown algae then yes it's food. Since the oto has been fine so far, try the algae wafer, go on holiday have a great time. When you get back, start your algae farm. As a side note, if your space is limited you can crank up the lighting over the 10 gal. algae will form, and you can switch the oto,from one side to the other every week, sorta like sheep in a pasture.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Amono shrimp are another option.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #18 
paloverde

Chocolate now is a very good time to practice your social skills.Go to the kitchen get a snack and a beverage and lets start a thread in the lounge ....ok?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #19 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
If by slime algae do you mean the kind that smells like a swamp and can be easily removed in sheets? If yes, nothing on this planet will eat that. If the algae that you are talking about is just a coating of good old algae or even brown algae then yes it's food. Since the oto has been fine so far, try the algae wafer, go on holiday have a great time. When you get back, start your algae farm. As a side note, if your space is limited you can crank up the lighting over the 10 gal. algae will form, and you can switch the oto,from one side to the other every week, sorta like sheep in a pasture.

Oh dear, I definitely don't have the sheet algae xD But I do have the other one :)

And that actually sounds like a good idea,the switching of the sides o.O
I moved Lucky over this morning just to see if it was possible that only ONE side of the tank was affecting her in someway (like the filter or Squirt), and Banana was very nice to her. He didn't chase her or anything, so I'm glad it worked out between them. Now I know, and now I can start the sheep pasture technique xD
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #20 
paloverde

Oh good, have a great and stress free holiday!