Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #51 
Wendyjo

Yep, I've cycled my 2.5g tanks before and they've always stayed stable. I treat the small tanks just like my large one as far as maintenance goes.

And FYI glass tanks are much easier to break than acrylic ones. Acrylic tanks are made out of one molded piece of plastic - glass tanks are 5 seperate pieces of glass held together with silicone. You carry a glass tank of any size with water in it, or don't have it on a level surface, and the chances of it busting a seam from the pressure of the water is quite high. That is not an issue with acrylic tanks.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #52 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am pretty sure they are plastic not arcilic.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #53 
Wendyjo

Hmm OK I know that plastic fish tanks are all made of acrylic, which is a type of plastic.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #54 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRTrenkamp View Post
I'm not good at guess or knowing how much it can hold, but it's dimensions are 14.5"L x 8.75"W x 9.75"H (a large kritter keeper)

And the cave is an actual shell of a coconut I got from my LFS.
The large holds about 3 gallons....

I have three silk plants and two small terracotta pots (with the bottoms removed) in one of mine. The other has silk plants, a terracotta pot, and two Betta hammocks. (Both have heaters also.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 11-19-2012 at 09:26 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #55 
Chris430

i have a 3 gallon plastic critter tank for one betta. it has done a great job. i even have a heater and filter in there, along with a couple live plants a tunnel and a fake fungus looking plant. its not bad sized, and has held up nicely with very easy maintenance, but i am upgrading for three big reasons

1)having a betta in a 5 in the same room makes it look so cramped. we got baby blue as literally a baby, less than an inch long. as hes grown the tank has to seem less and less interesting to him. decoration options are limited, making that tank look like a throw-together next to houdini's castle.

2)SCRATCHES!! ive been pretty easy on the tank, and its made it longer than i honestly expected. but getting a decent picture of blue without a bunch of ****e blurs in front gets harder and harder. and hes just far too gorgeous to not photograph.

3)lighting. the top has proven to be quite the opponent in finding decent lighting that works. my 5 gallon and 40 look so great with their lights on, while baby blue is stuck under a house lamp

i would recommend the critter tank, but i am not keeping mine
Chris430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #56 
Myates

I used to use them as my main tanks - now I use the 1.75g (medium) for the fish that I am conditioning to breed, and I use the .75g (small) to house the fish that I am breeding. (Went to larger, divided tanks for my pet bettas as it's much easier on me to maintain those then having to do all those water changes on all those keepers.. would be way too much work lol)

The mediums and up are easy to heat - I keep 25w adjustable heaters in there with no troubles of keeping the water as warm as I want it, nor is there any weakness to the plastic. My smalls are kept in large, shallow plastic tub filled with water and a heater in the tub to keep the tanks warm.

Yes, they can get that ugly scum on there easily, but it can easily be cleaned off with some scrubbing.

You can decorate them real pretty, just have to use your imagination!

All in all, if you can't afford a tank or don't have room for a larger tank then a kritter keeper is a great way to go. I give it an 8/10 for being a good, cheap tank alternative :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #57 
KRTrenkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
The large holds about 3 gallons....

I have three silk plants and two small terracotta pots (with the bottoms removed) in one of mine. The other has silk plants, a terracotta pot, and two Betta hammocks. (Both have heaters also.)
Thanks! I thought that might be it but I wasn't 100% sure.

And I think someone else also answered and thanks to them too, I can't remember the name though.
KRTrenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #58 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If I bred fish I feel like larger tanks are better for conditioning.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #59 
rezicca

Well smaller tanks are probably more efficient. Plus, saves space for breeders.
rezicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #60 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If I ever breed only one pair.