Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #41 
wombatgirl

I had a question on this (thanks so much for this BTW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In a 1gal-4gal filtered tank-without live plants:
Water changes of twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method.
Filter media needs swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of time a month
*The long term care and established cycle care will be the same on 1-4gal filtered tanks.
What do the two types of water change do? What difference do the water only change and the substrate vacuum have on the chemistry of the water?

I'm trying to get the whole cycling thing down, and just really read this post and noticed the difference. I tend to vacuum every time I do a water change - is that removing too much stuff to get the cycle started?

Thanks so much for any explanations!
wombatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #42 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatgirl View Post
I'm trying to get the whole cycling thing down, and just really read this post and noticed the difference. I tend to vacuum every time I do a water change - is that removing too much stuff to get the cycle started?

Thanks so much for any explanations!
A lot of the beneficial bacteria are in the substrate and you only need to vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything one time a week...You can vacuuming half- twice a week will also be fine or a 1/3- 3 times a week...etc....
Sometimes its a bit of a balance with low stocking levels and/or small tanks....You don't want to remove too much BB at one time and cause a spike or leave too much mulm/debris that will suffocate or limit food delivery to the BB....Its all about balance....

The information I provide is just general guidelines or starting point for you-Aquariums are rarely the same and we will need to tweak things as we go to maintain that balance.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #43 
sunlight

Very good explanation on cycling thank you! I will keep this link for other people. Or if I will ever decide to do it. I don’t cycle my 3 gall and 5 gall because it pain for me to clean filter and do gravel vacuuming. I just do 100% and 50% water changes a week for all my tanks with betta acclimation. Sometimes I do just 100% water changes only .
I have 4 betta . Look like they all healthy for almost 3 years now.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #44 
labloverl

I'm trying to cycle my 5 gallon, but I have no clue what I'm doing. I've read all the stickies, but it is still confusing. The filter I have in my 5 gallon ran in my cycled 10 gallon for about 3 days (not long enough, I know) and I have some gravel from the 10 gallon sitting by the filter intake. I also tore some of the cartridge off the one in the 10 gallon and put it in the filter in the 5 gallon. There is no ammonia source though. There are no fish in it. Do I put fish food in? How much? How often should I test the water? Do I change the water? How much?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #45 
Goldie2nd

This helps me out soo much thank you I can put my betta in there in a week or so. Because I want to make sure his new 10 gallon tank is clean and healthy for him to go in!
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #46 
logisticsguy

I'm sure this question has been asked before but what is the general opinion on air powered sponge filters with betta? Im thinking of going with only sponge filters like this. I'm new and trying to learn as much as possible.

logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #47 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
I'm trying to cycle my 5 gallon, but I have no clue what I'm doing. I've read all the stickies, but it is still confusing. The filter I have in my 5 gallon ran in my cycled 10 gallon for about 3 days (not long enough, I know) and I have some gravel from the 10 gallon sitting by the filter intake. I also tore some of the cartridge off the one in the 10 gallon and put it in the filter in the 5 gallon. There is no ammonia source though. There are no fish in it. Do I put fish food in? How much? How often should I test the water? Do I change the water? How much?
you need an ammonia source, or whatever BB you have obtained on your new filter will die of starvation. it's fine to do a fish in cycle. do make sure to test the water frequently. and make water changes as necessary
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #48 
Aquabreeze

Is it possible to cycle a 1 gal unfiltered bowl, with no live plants?
Aquabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #49 
Wendyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
you need an ammonia source, or whatever BB you have obtained on your new filter will die of starvation. it's fine to do a fish in cycle. do make sure to test the water frequently. and make water changes as necessary
It's always best to do a fishless cycle when possible - ANY detectable amount of ammonia is harmful. I realize that sometimes people get in a situation where they have no choice but to do a cycle using fish, but I see no reason to encourage this outdated practice, especially with a betta.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #50 
Wendyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabreeze View Post
Is it possible to cycle a 1 gal unfiltered bowl, with no live plants?
No, not really.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote