Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #1 
minkymink

Switching Out Old Water..?

I have one betta living in a filter 5 gal. Recently I tested his water and his ph was 6. I decided I wanted to try and replace the tap water I'm using with Deer Park since I read online it had a ph of 7. My question is, how would I go about changing out the water without shocking my fish?
minkymink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you tested your tap water? Test it directly out of the tap then put some in a glass, let it sit for 24 hrs, stir it occasionally & then test it. This will be your true Ph. How often do you do water changes? The Ph can lower the longer its in a tank which is another reason for weekly water changes of 25-50% depending on the tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #3 
minkymink

I havent tested the tap water but i will now. I do a 50% every week.
minkymink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #4 
Myates

You don't need to change the pH, yours is fine - more of a pain to try to keep it regulated. Not to mention you will be removing all the beneficial minerals they need when you use bottled water.
A pH of 6 is good for your CT (judging by your avatar), harder water tends to curl their fins.

If you think you need to raise it (again, you have a fine pH and in the long run using bottled water can be detrimental to the fish's health) then you will want to remove him into his cup, and then after the water change float him in it, removing partial water from the cup and replacing it with water from the tank. Do that every 5-10 minutes for about 30-40 minutes so he adjusts to the new chemistry.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote