Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #31 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
What about the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? How are they all 0?
plants... or too many water changes. lol
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #32 
Friendlyfishies

The good news is...it is possible to save a couple, rare but possible. Out of 8 guppies that had columnaris straight from the petstore using melafix, pemafix and heavy AQ salt 2 pulled thru. I knowvyou shouldn't use the fix's but it may work for the corys. Goodluck!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 AM   #33 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I am going to try Tetracycline. I will not try salt though as the corydoras can't handle that. I've also read better referenced articles that show salt does not help. Tetracycline seems to work though not everyone seems to suggest or talk about it.
I have had fought more battles with columnaris then I care to admit and Tetracycline has NEVER worked. I am not sure if its because it does not fight gram negative bacteria, which is what columnaris is OR because it does not work with PH's that are over 7.4. The same is true with Maracyn AKA Erythromycin. If you want a change in hell of winning aganist columnaris - you need something like Furan 2. I have also heard that triple sulfa, Kanaplex and a combo of maracyn and maracyn 2 may work. If you PH is an 8.0 - I would not use the maracyn combo because it is not as effective in high PH water. I had to OD to get it to work.

NOTE: I am not sure if these meds are safe for catfish.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #34 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post

I looked at Furan and it seems to have poor reviews. I got some other antibiotic which is known to treat this bacteria infection we're theorizing. Im treating the whole tank because the tank is contaminated I don't want it to linger for the other fish.
If you were reading customer reviews on a website like Petsmart or Petco, then that is a bad idea. Any customer who posts a negative review could have easily had a bad experience with the medicine because they misused it or used the wrong type of medication to treat a certain condition. For example, if I used Rid Ich to try and treat popeye and it didn't work, so I posted a negative review. Also, do not believe what the boxes of medication tell you. Maracyn I and II tell you it can treat dropsy conditions but in reality, both meds not only can make it worse but have a whole host of side effects that can turn a bad situation worse.

The medication in Furan-2, nitrafurazone, is especially effective against columnaris bacteria. This is why I recommended it.

Erythromycin is, unfortunately, one of those meds that has been overused and misused in the past and thus, many bacteria strains have developed a resistance to it. Furthermore, it is a gram positive medication and columnaris is gram negative; the majority of bacteria encountered in the aquarium are gram negative. In other words, erythromycin will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING if your fish are affected by columnaris. It might work if your fish were affected with Neon Tetra Disease, Black Molly Disease or perhaps popeye but they aren't.

Also, if your tank was cycled, you can kiss your beneficial bacteria goodbye. Erythromycin is one of those meds that is extremely harsh on BB. I would suggest using a bacteria booster in your tank after you have finished treating with this. Seachem Stability is a good choice for this but avoid bacteria boosters by Tetra. I've heard that the bacteria they use is not even the right kind of bacteria. Use carbon to get the rest of the meds out of the water when you are finished.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #35 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If you were reading customer reviews on a website like Petsmart or Petco, then that is a bad idea. Any customer who posts a negative review could have easily had a bad experience with the medicine because they misused it or used the wrong type of medication to treat a certain condition. For example, if I used Rid Ich to try and treat popeye and it didn't work, so I posted a negative review. Also, do not believe what the boxes of medication tell you. Maracyn I and II tell you it can treat dropsy conditions but in reality, both meds not only can make it worse but have a whole host of side effects that can turn a bad situation worse.

The medication in Furan-2, nitrafurazone, is especially effective against columnaris bacteria. This is why I recommended it.

Erythromycin is, unfortunately, one of those meds that has been overused and misused in the past and thus, many bacteria strains have developed a resistance to it. Furthermore, it is a gram positive medication and columnaris is gram negative; the majority of bacteria encountered in the aquarium are gram negative. In other words, erythromycin will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING if your fish are affected by columnaris. It might work if your fish were affected with Neon Tetra Disease, Black Molly Disease or perhaps popeye but they aren't.

Also, if your tank was cycled, you can kiss your beneficial bacteria goodbye. Erythromycin is one of those meds that is extremely harsh on BB. I would suggest using a bacteria booster in your tank after you have finished treating with this. Seachem Stability is a good choice for this but avoid bacteria boosters by Tetra. I've heard that the bacteria they use is not even the right kind of bacteria. Use carbon to get the rest of the meds out of the water when you are finished.
Thanks for the info. I'll complete this antibiotic treatment and if the fish show anymore signs of ill health Ill remember your recommendation.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #36 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
plants... or too many water changes. lol
The tank is well planted. I've been doing 50% water changes every other week, except this week will be 2 or 3 25% water changes per antibiotic treatment's instructions.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #37 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
The tank is well planted. I've been doing 50% water changes every other week, except this week will be 2 or 3 25% water changes per antibiotic treatment's instructions.
That's usually the situation for planted tanks. I never got anything more than a zero other than on the PH, so I sold my test kits.
Now I prefer to buffer the water and not do water changes for extended periods of time. the livestock seems to prefer it that way too.

You may find that even 50% is too extreme for a planted filtered tank. when I do larger water changes, I run a line in and a line out simultaneously, like a simultaneous acclimation/water change.

you may not need the 50% change at all, I find that some plants really don't like large water changes. Just part of my personal experience.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #38 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
That's usually the situation for planted tanks. I never got anything more than a zero other than on the PH, so I sold my test kits.
Now I prefer to buffer the water and not do water changes for extended periods of time. the livestock seems to prefer it that way too.

You may find that even 50% is too extreme for a planted filtered tank. when I do larger water changes, I run a line in and a line out simultaneously, like a simultaneous acclimation/water change.

you may not need the 50% change at all, I find that some plants really don't like large water changes. Just part of my personal experience.
I've sometimes wondered when all my readings are 0 why am I even doing a water change? In my 5g it's to keep the water less brown (from drift wood), but the drift wood in my 16g takes a lot longer to make the water brown enough to show.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #39 
ao
TFK Moderator

well water changes should be done to cut down on dissolved organic solids, which are not detectable with the tests. Personally I dont know, I do a water change just about every 3 months and a top off every week.

how's the fish?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #40 
Xeek

Fish are doing great. Sometimes the corys scare me and play dead with a tilt to their drifting. Apparently this is normal for them when they rest during the daytime. I was afraid until the evening they all started getting really active again and now I know its ok.

The bettas are ok, but J'Lo started attacking Nip (bettas). I had to move the aggressor to another tank. I decided to give this sorority a 2nd chance and have 2 more new bettas in another divided tank. They are doing excellent as well and are adjusting to their new home as well as that important part - seeing me as food giver (which hasn't happend quite yet).