Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #1 
JAGalletta

Wanted: Used filter media!

Ok, so I'm on the verge of giving up on waiting for the right bacteria to fall out of the air. I'm on the 4th week of cycling my tank and have not had luck lowering my nitrite levels for two weeks now. I also do not have enough posts to post in the classified forum - but by the time I do, I probably wouldn't need any help.

So, I'm looking for some used filter media or someone who has knowledge of the best place to go on a wild goose hunt in South Jersey in an attempt to find someone kind enough to offer me some. I've tried my two nearest petsmart locations - and they point me to the boxes of brand new filter media on the shelf - yeah, that helps, thanks.

I'm getting a little on the upset side here since I've been waiting so long and my betta has been making due in a 1.75gal bowl with a heater for the past two weeks. Can anyone help me with this? I am in Atlantic County, New Jersey.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You're 3 hours away from me, damn.

You'll definitely need to get it with a local pick up, the bacteria die off in 6 hours if they don't get some aeration or gas exchange. What are your parameters, exactly? Ammonia shouldn't exceed 6ppm, nitrite shouldn't exceed 5ppm, and nitrate shouldn't exceed 80ppm or so. Maybe it's stalling your cycle.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #3 
registereduser

what is the nitrite level?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #4 
JAGalletta

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
what is the nitrite level?
I have done partial water changes to get nitrite to 1pm down from 5. I dose the tank to 1 ppm of ammonia and within a few days nitrite is back above 5ppm. Ammonia zeroes out daily. Should I need to be changing the water this often? Nitrates haven't been a problem but they are present in the 10-20ppm range.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #5 
Wendyjo

A cycle takes 6-8 weeks to complete.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote