Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #141 
Hallyx
Reference Team

LoL. The three of us are on again at the same time. That would be 8pm Saturday 11/18 for Babystarz and (what?) 9 or 10 Sunday morning in Oz? (Do you still call it that?)

I'll send you all the Manzanita or Madrone that'll fit in a box. Just the cost of shipping. What do the Aus customs people have to say, LBF?

So what makes splendens---the kind we customarily get from domestic breeders and stores---such cocky and bold little critters?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #142 
babystarz

7 PM here actually, we just began Daylight Savings

I would love to get a flat rate box of wood from you, thanks so much I bet you can ship to LBF if you find an innocuous way to describe it on the customs form? Maybe "sculpture wood materials" or something that does not invoke ideas of invasive species XD

I am curious about the playfulness and interactivity towards humans of domestic splendens too, especially because they were bred for so long to be aggressive.

Last edited by babystarz; 11-18-2012 at 07:27 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #143 
LittleBettaFish

I would probably assume that they have been bred for years now in captivity and probably the more aggressive a fish is, the less it has to fear from anything as it becomes the apex predator in that environment.

Haha customs gives you a huge fine if you knowingly or accidentally ship in something like that and they catch you. Not worth it unfortunately. Half the time you can't see anything in my tanks but a huge ball of moss anyways.

It's 12:40pm here. Just put my tub of hornwort and duckweed out front in the sun to propagate it now so when I am ready to try a pair of perhaps palangkarensis or brownorum outside over summer it is ready to go. Also may or may not be trying to get some mosquito larvae breeding Not that my mum knows that.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #144 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Nice if you can get that "Goldvine." Easily as pretty as Manzanita. As soon as it stops raining (snowing?) I'll go up the hill with a handsaw and see what I can find in the way of Manzanita, maybe down to the park and see what the Madrone dropped.

Went looking for a picture of B palangkarensis. Hard to find a pic; the IBC doesn't have a ref. But I came across this stunner, B antuta. Blackwater low pH species, near as I can tell without further research. Love the look, though.

Unless you mean the guy in the lower pic. Sort of a simplex with a small mouth looking. Love the colors.

Oh, yeah. What's with the photophores. Some wilds have 'em, some not so much? Not splendens near as I can tell, except I've seen a few (cellophanes, mostly) with a little of that in their fins. Maybe not the same thing as having that outrageous neon scalage.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hallyx; 11-19-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #145 
LittleBettaFish

That I believe is a photo taken by a guy I know from another forum who works at the main wholesaler here in Australia.

I think that Betta palangkarensis, is actually

Betta sp. ‘Sengalang/Palangkayara’ — Seriously Fish

I have Betta palangkarensis and they are basically identical to photos shown of palangkayara. They are a member of the coccina complex due to size and breeding behaviour, and are spectacular fish.

Here is one of my males. I have four males and I believe two females.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #146 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Oh, yeah. What's with the photophores. Some wilds have 'em, some not so much? Not splendens near as I can tell, except I've seen a few (cellophanes, mostly) with a little of that in their fins. Maybe not the same thing as having that outrageous neon scalage.
Yeah, I really haven't run across much info on this in the literature I've found. Maybe we should ask some experts, like the people who frequent SF or the Anabantoids Yahoo group. I've seen some biologists in both places who could potentially explain it.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #147 
babystarz

Mr. Smaragdina was out in full view today! I couldn't believe it at first, he even swam right up to look at me, and ate the pellets I left for him. I was amazed. Then I saw that he had created a bubble nest right next to his view of my pineapple splendens female XD Wrong species you nimrod! Still, I'm glad something enticed him out of hiding.

I haven't seen Mrs. Smaragdina in a few days. She might be miffed at Mr. Smaragdina.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #148 
Setsuna

these are my wilds that i just recently bought

My wild caught Imbellis

My wild caught Pure Blood Splenden
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #149 
babystarz

They're gorgeous Setsuna! I especially love that spade tail on your splendens. Remind me, are you the person with a cousin who lives near wilds?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #150 
babystarz

Yes! Won a reverse trio of ocellata from Cody :D He might throw a few extras in too. I can't wait to show them off when they get here. I have a feeling I've got quite a bit of work to do on my tanks; I ended up staying at my parents' house for 3 days with the flu and the lights were on this whole time >.< Plleeeaaase don't let there be an algae infestation when I return.

I am probably going to split up my albi pairs into two 10 gals and give their 20 long to the ocellata. Since it's the closest to the ground, any jumping will not be catastrophic as long as I'm around when it happens.