Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #7671 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post

I cleaned out my 5 gallon tank that housed my sick betta yesterday after he passed. I divided it and put my other betta, Krycek (CT) in there on the left side, and his new friend that I bought today (HMDT), who is nameless at the moment, is on the right.

I also bought a Marimo moss ball for Krycek's side, and have a piece of pothos in the other side. I might add some more pothos and some other live plants later. My light is not a plant light (small LED) so I'm not sure what can and will grow in there.

I am hoping it will be cycled soon - half of the water in the tank is from my mom's well-established, cycled tank of a few years and from Krycek's previous home. I am so excited about having a divided tank! It is so pretty too! I made the divider from plastic mesh and report binder things, it has two layers of mesh so it's not very easy for them to see each other which is nice. Both of them really seem to like their new home so hopefully they will thrive. :)
The beneficial bacteria from a cycled tank normally isn't in the water.. or if it is, it's not very much. Ideally you'll want filter media and gravel from that tank. Normally the good bacteria lives on the walls of the established tank as well as in the filter media (most bacteria is here) and in the gravel. Take some gravel from the cycled tank, and put it in a mesh bag, or panty ho and have it hanging by the filter, that will speed up your cycle. Until then, make sure to keep up with water changes to avoid an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate spike.
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #7672 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkham View Post
The beneficial bacteria from a cycled tank normally isn't in the water.. or if it is, it's not very much. Ideally you'll want filter media and gravel from that tank. Normally the good bacteria lives on the walls of the established tank as well as in the filter media (most bacteria is here) and in the gravel. Take some gravel from the cycled tank, and put it in a mesh bag, or panty ho and have it hanging by the filter, that will speed up your cycle. Until then, make sure to keep up with water changes to avoid an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate spike.
I do have gravel and water from Krycek's previous home in there. I'm not sure if that tank was cycled, but the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings were always good. It was only up and running for about a month though. I will ask my mom for some filter media and or gravel from her tank though, thanks for the tip!

I'm unsure as to when I should do my first water change though? And how much? I know OFL says 50% but should I do less until my tank is cycled?
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #7673 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
I do have gravel and water from Krycek's previous home in there. I'm not sure if that tank was cycled, but the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings were always good. It was only up and running for about a month though. I will ask my mom for some filter media and or gravel from her tank though, thanks for the tip!

I'm unsure as to when I should do my first water change though? And how much? I know OFL says 50% but should I do less until my tank is cycled?
When you do a water change you aren't going to be removing any good bacteria, they like to stick to the filter, and glass. The fish will enjoy the extra clean water and you will be removing any unnecessary ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Your tank is 5 gallons, so I'd do 50% once a week.. but since you just set it up, I'd test the water and consider doing a 30% every other day?(I'm not an expert by any means) I have 2 5 gallons and I do a 50% change every Sunday.. but they are well established. Do you have a test kit?
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #7674 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkham View Post
When you do a water change you aren't going to be removing any good bacteria, they like to stick to the filter, and glass. The fish will enjoy the extra clean water and you will be removing any unnecessary ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Your tank is 5 gallons, so I'd do 50% once a week.. but since you just set it up, I'd test the water and consider doing a 30% every other day?(I'm not an expert by any means) I have 2 5 gallons and I do a 50% change every Sunday.. but they are well established. Do you have a test kit?
I don't mind cleaning it as often as I need too, the gravel vac is easy and fairly quick so not an issue. I have the test strips, 5-in-1 (pH, nitrate, nitrite, hardness and alkalinity) and the ammonia strips. I know these aren't the most reliable though...
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #7675 
BettaPirate

I hope these attached correctly. Just a few different views of my tank, I am hoping to redecorate soon :)

Oh, the Pirate was chosen by my son, that is why the Betta's name is Jack Sparrow.
Attached Images

BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #7676 
Ramla

Anyone know of any good inexpensive 5 gallon tanks? I am looking to upgrade mine a little, simply because I don't like the shape and such as much takes away a lot of space for my fish. I already have the heater and filter, simply need the tank and hood I guess.
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #7677 
Sparrowhawk

After I added a mug in a panic to help keep him occupied when he seemed to be very interested in his fins (and the day before I was due to get a pot with plants attached, too!)
Attached Images

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #7678 
white11sti

white11sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #7679 
Karebear13

^ Wow are you growing a moss carpet? Love the tank looks epic.... Does your betta ever go in the dragon's mouth and is it safe?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #7680 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by white11sti View Post
I love the dragon! It looks like it is guarding the moss ball. :P
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank