Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Splitting a 10g

So next month I'll be adding my current betta to a split 10g that will have filter, heater, two snails and live plants. I also want to buy a second betta, so that they can both have a snail and 5g on each side, za? What I'm wondering is what should I use to partition the tank? I've heard of some sort of mesh...

And in case anyone's curious, both will be male, so no, I don't want them seeing each other. My current betta, Phy, is rather agressive.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Nerites will work. Mesh might be be easily pushed.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 
Myates

They can see one another.. they may flare for a few days, but they tend to calm down. Plus, a flare session a day keeps them healthy. You can place large plants on a side so it breaks up their view, but don't stress if they can still see each other in places - they actually prefer to see another fish, as these domesticated ones are quite social. They just like to pump their chests now and again.. silly males :P

As far as dividers.. Petsmart sells dividers for 10 gallons, but they are a pain!

Home made ones are from the plastic crafting mesh (crafting section of store - Walmart sells cheap), plastic report binders (can be hard to find - I found mine at Dollar General).. sometimes aquarium sealant is needed to keep them extra sturdy.

Here are two links that show two different ways to make them.. others may have better ideas. You can also see if you know someone who can cut plexi glass to fit the tank, and drill small holes in it for the water to go through..

Dividing 1

Dividing 2

Just remember to make the top as high as you can - can cut a section of some left over divider sections to make a T at the top to avoid jumping - may also have to keep the water level a bit lower.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Also remember to not cut circulation off.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Nerites will work. Mesh might be be easily pushed.
I have nerite snails down on my list. Just hoping the petSmart I'll be going to has them. Would Nerite's do okay with gravel substrate?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #6 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
They can see one another.. they may flare for a few days, but they tend to calm down. Plus, a flare session a day keeps them healthy. You can place large plants on a side so it breaks up their view, but don't stress if they can still see each other in places - they actually prefer to see another fish, as these domesticated ones are quite social. They just like to pump their chests now and again.. silly males :P

As far as dividers.. Petsmart sells dividers for 10 gallons, but they are a pain!

Home made ones are from the plastic crafting mesh (crafting section of store - Walmart sells cheap), plastic report binders (can be hard to find - I found mine at Dollar General).. sometimes aquarium sealant is needed to keep them extra sturdy.

Here are two links that show two different ways to make them.. others may have better ideas. You can also see if you know someone who can cut plexi glass to fit the tank, and drill small holes in it for the water to go through..

Dividing 1

Dividing 2

Just remember to make the top as high as you can - can cut a section of some left over divider sections to make a T at the top to avoid jumping - may also have to keep the water level a bit lower.
Wow, I think I'll definitely go the DIY route on this, lol. Thanks so much for the links =D
Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #7 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Also remember to not cut circulation off.
You mean the water from one side to the other?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #8 
tromboneplaya

I've done both the petsmart dividers and the DIY and I have to say that DIY is way better. I set mine up so that there is a middle section for the heater and filter....makes for equal heating and filtering and they can't see each other :)
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #9 
sandrac8388

I'm so lazy I just buy the dividers from PetsMart :D Those things are sturdy if you have the right tank dimensions.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #10 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromboneplaya View Post
I've done both the petsmart dividers and the DIY and I have to say that DIY is way better. I set mine up so that there is a middle section for the heater and filter....makes for equal heating and filtering and they can't see each other :)
Unless I fork out cash for a clear top I can customize, my filter and heater are stuck where they are. Have to keep that in mind tho...

Tags
divider male betta