Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #11 
Keshia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Try bloodworms if you can get them. You can also try soaking his pellets in garlic juice they love garlic. Daphnia is fine too, and if you can get live foods try them for sure. Frozen also is okay. Goodluck! Sounds like he is still getting used to the new place, but if he won't eat live foods then I'd start to really worry. Can you post a pic of him? And go anymore in depth on his behavior?

Also, He should have a varied diet, whatever you can get him to eat for right now is fine...but once he starts acting normal you should try to get him to eat different things. Pellets should be the main staple with live and frozen foods as treats once or twice a week.
Ill organize to get some blood worms today! Thanks so much!
As for his behavior he spends most of the time is his cave or hiding in the plant. never really moving around. When he does move its just to come up and get some air then straight back into the cave. If he doesn't go back into the cave on into the plant he just floats on the surface without any movement until he has to get air again. He goes right past the food not even interested in it. And there seems to be alot of small bubbles on the surface of the water? In general her just looks really sad!
Will post a pic in a few
o and it seems like when he does swim his right fin moves alot faster than his left sometimes his left doesnt move at all
Keshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #12 
Kevron56

I am new to betta care as well so ill just share what little knowledge I learned so far? I think temperature acclimation was accomplished by floating the bag but I read that the betta should be acclimated to your water parameters by removing some of the old water in his bag and replacing it with some of the new. This should be repeated over 15 min intervals or so? Then when the water in the bag is pretty much the same water as the tank then you can let him swim out

I have made many mistakes so I by no means want to come off as a finger pointer... Maybe add a little more stress coat if his appetite doesn't return? I think I also read if he's stressed keeping the lights dimmed for a few hours helps?

Last edited by Kevron56; 11-21-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Kevron56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #13 
asukabetta

Well, acclimatation takes a little longer especially the first time when the water will be so different, you are supposed to pour in new water every 15-30min ish in small amounts then eventually ridding the old water and putting him in the new water gently.

But it's fine, unless your water chemistry was very weird and shocking the betta will adjust, give him time.

New betta's don't usually eat the first few days, I had to train mine to recognize food. Try getting his attention and dropping a pellet. If he ignores it then, pull it out and try again some other time. Bettas can go a while without eating, so don't worry. I'm sure when he gets hungry he'll eat.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #14 
Keshia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
It can take them a few days or so to get used to their new home. I wouldn't worry just yet.
3 gallons is a good size. I find that they like to have lots of plants and at least one that reaches the surface. real or plastic, dosen't matter. At night you will find then tangled up in the plant near the top. it so cute.

I dont know if they have them where u are but the TETRA water wonders plants - the one that looks like Cabomba (if U now what that plant looks like) works well for this. Its pretty soft plastic and will float if you remove the bottom part.

This is what I have floating in some tanks. I just remove the part that gets anchored in the gravel. It pretty softso their fins should not get torn
Yeah i actually saw something like that at the pet shop on sunday. Will try get some over the weekend. I did notice alot for ppl having them in their tanks to. Does live or plastic make a difference?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #15 
Keshia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyHounD View Post
I might suggest to you to use Daphnia!

And to stimulate him to eat place a mirror for 5 minutes then feed it after then, just observe how beautiful your betta is and then it will eat^^.

Alternate the feeding of live and pellet like 2 days pellet then live.

This way is much efficient: Keep on doing live for 2 days then after then do pellet for a day, do it like that for a week then slowly shift from live to 2 days pellet and 1 day live etc.

M: Pellet
T: Pellet
W: Live
TH: Pellet
Fri: Pellet
S: Live
Su: Pellet or live( a treat if its live )

The time of feeding is just twice to maintain your water, but if your using tubifex like me what I would do is feed it only once and see if the stomach is huge or if he ignores the worms I beg to differ he would. Anyways, then fast him a day if your feeding tubifex to help digestion.
Ok will give that a go thanks so much!!!! How often do u feed them a day tho>
Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #16 
Keshia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevron56 View Post
I am new to betta care as well so ill just share what little knowledge I learned so far? I think temperature acclimation was accomplished by floating the bag but I read that the betta should be acclimated to your water parameters by removing some of the old water in his bag and replacing it with some of the new. This should be repeated over 15 min intervals or so? Then when the water in the bag is pretty much the same water as the tank then you can let him swim out

I have made many mistakes so I by no means want to come off as a finger pointer... Maybe add a little more stress coat if his appetite doesn't return? I think I also read if he's stressed keeping the lights dimmed for a few hours helps?
Thanks so much any advice is a help like i said Im completely clueless at the moment lol.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 AM   #17 
Keshia

Thanks so much for all the help!! I feel a bit better knowing that Im doing the right thing and not making it worse for the pour little thing. I just hope he eats soon! Will try get his attention like you said and then feed him! i Really hope it works
Old 11-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #18 
Kevron56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshia View Post
Thanks so much any advice is a help like i said Im completely clueless at the moment lol.
The people on this forum are awesome people. Fountains of knowledge! If anyone can help you it's these good people!
Kevron56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #19 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshia View Post
Ill organize to get some blood worms today! Thanks so much!
As for his behavior he spends most of the time is his cave or hiding in the plant. never really moving around. When he does move its just to come up and get some air then straight back into the cave. If he doesn't go back into the cave on into the plant he just floats on the surface without any movement until he has to get air again. He goes right past the food not even interested in it. And there seems to be alot of small bubbles on the surface of the water? In general her just looks really sad!
Will post a pic in a few
o and it seems like when he does swim his right fin moves alot faster than his left sometimes his left doesnt move at all
Since its only been 3 days, it doesn't seem like that big of an issue, like I said, it's really stressfull for them to change environments. But, it doesn't sound a little weird that all the swimming he will do is to get air.
Give it another few days.
Sometimes AQ salt can help relax them. I have a female that gets stressed out way too much over nothing, so I give her a couple days with AQ salt and she seems to become okay again.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #20 
asukabetta

The only difference with live and plastic plants, is that they help water quality, some plants like the java moss, help with ammonia, and others like the marimo moss ball help stunt the growth of algae, then they produce a much natural ambient for your fish.

It helps a lot with cycled tanks I hear, less water changes.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote