Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #31 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Omg wow....I thought I knew everything I needed to know but now I feel helpless. What are we supposed to do if our tap water has ammonia in it? I would likely just move and save myself the headache -_-
I personally don't know how the problem suddenly solved itself, because it's one I've been battling since I moved into my apartment complex in August. However, like I said earlier, what seemed to help was the addition of more plants. I already had one marimo, some wisteria and like two/three stems of anacharis, but since I've added more wisteria, some duckweed, three stems of moneywort and hornwort, the ammonia reading's gone down to *almost* zero.
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #32 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorxmexravyne View Post
I personally don't know how the problem suddenly solved itself, because it's one I've been battling since I moved into my apartment complex in August. However, like I said earlier, what seemed to help was the addition of more plants. I already had one marimo, some wisteria and like two/three stems of anacharis, but since I've added more wisteria, some duckweed, three stems of moneywort and hornwort, the ammonia reading's gone down to *almost* zero.
I dont like using live plants though -_-. i dont currently have ammonia in ky tap water but im not going to live here forever...I'm glad you problem is solved though :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #33 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
I dont like using live plants though -_-. i dont currently have ammonia in ky tap water but im not going to live here forever...I'm glad you problem is solved though :)
Why not? o: I think the benefits of live plants outweigh the consequences...if there even are any. But to each their own. (: I think the best way to combat ammonia in tap water is to have a good, established cycle. So, if your tank is stabilized now, it *should* make quick work of any ammonia introduced to it via the tap water in the future.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #34 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Why not? o: I think the benefits of live plants outweigh the consequences...if there even are any. But to each their own. (: I think the best way to combat ammonia in tap water is to have a good, established cycle. So, if your tank is stabilized now, it *should* make quick work of any ammonia introduced to it via the tap water in the future.
Oh, so once the tank is cycled, it doesn't really matter if there is ammonia in the tap water? Maybe the tank will cycle faster with ammonia in the tap water? How often will you find ammonia in your tap water? is it a common thing?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #35 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Oh, so once the tank is cycled, it doesn't really matter if there is ammonia in the tap water? Maybe the tank will cycle faster with ammonia in the tap water? How often will you find ammonia in your tap water? is it a common thing?
Don't take my word as law because I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that in theory, no it doesn't matter if your tap water as ammonia because a cycled tank SHOULD take care of it so long as it's not some obscene amount. However, my tank had been cycled since the beginning of April of this year and was, for some reason, still affected by the ammonia in my tap.

I think the chances of finding ammonia in your water depends on location. I didn't have a problem with ammonia in my tap water when I lived in my on campus dorm, nor was it a problem at my parents' house over the summer. But when I moved to my apartment 10 minutes AWAY from campus, I tested the water and I got a .25ppm reading. It might be helpful to know that my parents live in a rural area outside city limits, and my school/apartment is in a suburbia within city limits. You're probably more likely to have ammonia in water where there are more people (ie, an urban area) since ammonia is sometimes used to "treat" water (it's a disinfectant). That being said, I'm sure there are several cases of people having ammonia in their tap water, enough to be called a "common" issue.

I'm not sure if the tank will cycle faster with ammonia from the tap in it, so I'll leave that question unanswered. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject can answer your question.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #36 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Don't take my word as law because I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that in theory, no it doesn't matter if your tap water as ammonia because a cycled tank SHOULD take care of it so long as it's not some obscene amount. However, my tank had been cycled since the beginning of April of this year and was, for some reason, still affected by the ammonia in my tap.

I think the chances of finding ammonia in your water depends on location. I didn't have a problem with ammonia in my tap water when I lived in my on campus dorm, nor was it a problem at my parents' house over the summer. But when I moved to my apartment 10 minutes AWAY from campus, I tested the water and I got a .25ppm reading. It might be helpful to know that my parents live in a rural area outside city limits, and my school/apartment is in a suburbia within city limits. You're probably more likely to have ammonia in water where there are more people (ie, an urban area) since ammonia is sometimes used to "treat" water (it's a disinfectant). That being said, I'm sure there are several cases of people having ammonia in their tap water, enough to be called a "common" issue.

I'm not sure if the tank will cycle faster with ammonia from the tap in it, so I'll leave that question unanswered. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject can answer your question.
Thank you. Perhaps I will start a new thread with a few questions about the subject.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #37 
Hallyx
Reference Team

More important than how fast, to me, is what are your readings just before a water change, and after. Of course you're using Prime or a conditioner which converts ammonia instantly to ammonium.

We could all learn a lot if we knew how the tank reduces that ammonia/ammonium on a day-to-day basis.

Would you do that and post it here? Thanks, Ravyne.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #38 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
More important than how fast, to me, is what are your readings just before a water change, and after. Of course you're using Prime or a conditioner which converts ammonia instantly to ammonium.

We could all learn a lot if we knew how the tank reduces that ammonia/ammonium on a day-to-day basis.

Would you do that and post it here? Thanks, Ravyne.
I'm actually not able to do that at the moment. I'm at my parents house for the Holidays and won't be back at my apartment until Sunday. I'll post it then. (:
Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #39 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Why don't you use them?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #40 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
I'm actually not able to do that at the moment. I'm at my parents house for the Holidays and won't be back at my apartment until Sunday. I'll post it then. (:
There's certainly no hurry. It will make a fine addendum to the "Cycle Log" thread. Thanks.

Have a lovely holiday weekend.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote