Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #21 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Ahh, I thought so. It looked about like a ten in the video, but of course hard to tell still.
So yes, about 5-6 little Panda Corys should be perfect. ;)

Oh goodness I totally know what you mean. Fish in general are so widely portrayed as a cheap, easy, and expendable pet.....its positively sickening how they're often not even treated as true living creatures.
Sigh. I really hope that one day in the future, people will start to understand that just because you can't physically touch an animal and just because the animal itself doesn't cost as much as others might doesn't mean they don't deserve to receive time, effort, love, and proper care.

....And that there is really no such thing as a cheap pet. Ever.
So true! But the way they advertise bettas, and without knowledge, someone can get by with a "cheap" pet.. they just won't get a full life out of them! Then they suffer at the hands of ignorance. I have to remember, I am only one person. Unfortunately these things happen, I will just try to avoid certain places. I was in the mood to look around today, saw some nice looking bettas in HORRIBLE conditions. Petco! Petsmart isn't much better, but they buy less and do keep their cups cleaner. Petco had like 40 bettas, all of which their cups were SO filthy. Im sure half were diseased due to ammonia issues. What does everyone on here do when you see something like this? Do you contact corporate or just speak to a manager? I didn't know what to do. The employees are clueless! This is why I prefer specialty stores. They tend to be super knowledgeable because they only have one type of animal to keep up with.

I dont know where I'll be getting the cories now. I went back to that store and was disgusted today. Bad conditions, and lots of dead fish. One of which was a betta, who had been there for who knows how long! He had a film growing around him! :( :( So disgusting!!!
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #22 
DragonFish

Oh yes, so true.....its really very, very sad. Honestly, it really is such a shame that the chain stores won't step up and properly educate their employees about the true needs and care of fish, and other misunderstood reptiles and rodents and the like. Clearly, they don't get that "there is no cheap pet" means more money for them in the long run. I mean seriously.....if they were to provide PROPER information, sure a few people might just not get the animal, but the people that DO and actually purchase proper setups and supplies would likely make up for that....
Sigh.
I do believe if you want to complain about the conditions, pull an employee aside and ask for the manager of the store and express to them how displeased you are with the conditions of their fish and bettas from the point of view of a concerned and caring customer. If the don't get the memo once, I'd say keep complaining, and if they refuse to do anything contact the higher ups.

Ahhh, perhaps you could use that in your complaint! Say you had planned to purchase some more fish for your aquarium, but after seeing the conditions they were kept in you plan on maybe taking your business elsewhere. ;) Could maybe light a little fire under their tails, get them at least thinking about cleaning their tanks a little more.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #23 
Setsuna

show bettas dont show stress marks. thats why i wanted you to try the smaller jar method. is he always at the top or at the bottom?
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #24 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
show bettas dont show stress marks. thats why i wanted you to try the smaller jar method. is he always at the top or at the bottom?
What do you mean by stress marks? I don't notice anything on him besides the curled fin. He is all over the tank. When I walk by he tends to be at the top waiting for more food! But when I walk away he goes everywhere. He seems very happy.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #25 
stellar981

Quote:
Oh yes, so true.....its really very, very sad. Honestly, it really is such a shame that the chain stores won't step up and properly educate their employees about the true needs and care of fish, and other misunderstood reptiles and rodents and the like. Clearly, they don't get that "there is no cheap pet" means more money for them in the long run. I mean seriously.....if they were to provide PROPER information, sure a few people might just not get the animal, but the people that DO and actually purchase proper setups and supplies would likely make up for that....
Sigh.
I do believe if you want to complain about the conditions, pull an employee aside and ask for the manager of the store and express to them how displeased you are with the conditions of their fish and bettas from the point of view of a concerned and caring customer. If the don't get the memo once, I'd say keep complaining, and if they refuse to do anything contact the higher ups.

Ahhh, perhaps you could use that in your complaint! Say you had planned to purchase some more fish for your aquarium, but after seeing the conditions they were kept in you plan on maybe taking your business elsewhere. ;) Could maybe light a little fire under their tails, get them at least thinking about cleaning their tanks a little more.
Yeah... i hate thinking about the sad stuff :(

On a higher note.. i can see this being addicting. I was already thinking of getting a second smaller tank for the counter top or something :) There are so many bettas out there who could use a nice place to live hehe! Do you have any 5 gal tanks yourself? I am trying to find a good but compact option.. If I find the right one, I may consider it..

Oh and any name suggestions for my current betta? I am SOO bad at coming up with names! :)
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #26 
DragonFish

Indeed. :/

xD Hurray positive subject change!
Haha, oh yes. There is no doubt about it, bettas are incredibly addictive. There are so many varieties, and they're just so DARNED adorable with their intelligence and attentiveness and unique little personalities....like tiny underwater puppies! <3 Haha it really is difficult to have just one!

I have two standard 5.5 gallons. If you filter and cycle it, pretty much about the same care as a 10 gallon for just, you know, a tad on the smaller side. xD
There are several different options as far as shape goes with 5 gallons of course....there is the Mini-bow, the Fluval Chi(my DREAM tank <3), a Hex....as far as I know, besides the shape, not too much of a difference between any of them though.

Oh goodness.....I'm absolutely horrible with names. xD; My fish just get named after characters, because I'm just a geek like that....
What sort of names do you like?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #27 
stellar981

Quote:
Indeed. :/

xD Hurray positive subject change!
Haha, oh yes. There is no doubt about it, bettas are incredibly addictive. There are so many varieties, and they're just so DARNED adorable with their intelligence and attentiveness and unique little personalities....like tiny underwater puppies! <3 Haha it really is difficult to have just one!

I have two standard 5.5 gallons. If you filter and cycle it, pretty much about the same care as a 10 gallon for just, you know, a tad on the smaller side. xD
There are several different options as far as shape goes with 5 gallons of course....there is the Mini-bow, the Fluval Chi(my DREAM tank <3), a Hex....as far as I know, besides the shape, not too much of a difference between any of them though.

Oh goodness.....I'm absolutely horrible with names. xD; My fish just get named after characters, because I'm just a geek like that....
What sort of names do you like?
haha, anything! I think I may have gotten one.. I like Opal, but he's a boy so I have trouble calling him a girlie name :) So my coworker suggested Opie. The "male" version of Opal.. haha Makes me think of a character from family guy, ha but I think it could work!

I saw that Chi tank, was considering it. But read some good and BAD reviews.. I guess the filter isn't so great. But being a betta doesn't need a wonderful filter, I thought its an option. But an expensive one! Plus I would need the cover.. I dunno. I saw the hex too. I like the little mini bows, but some reviews suggest they don't last long. I'd like to get the same filter and heater I have, they are great. I considered putting in a divider, but I do still want to get cories at some point. Does it matter what cories I get? I like the pandas, but I saw some other real cute ones too. I may change my mind.. :)
Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #28 
DragonFish

Daww, Opie is a cute name! I like it! xD

About when the Chis came out I was working at a LFS, so I got the privileged of getting to mess with and take one apart....I absolutely adore the look of them. I know what you mean about the filter though, kinda iffy and a little strong, but I figure I could probably modify it a little. I do believe they actually sell covers online though.....a little on the pricey side indeed, but goodness wouldn't I love to have one!! xD
Yeah, the bows are on the cheaper side I believe....but generally they're OK. The filter I've heard isn't so great though. The hex....I'm personally not a huge fan of the shape, but it seems to be a decent tank from what I've heard.

Ahhh yes, the debate of dividing or other tank mates....its so hard to choose sometimes!! xD
So long as they're all the same kind, and they're true corys(there are some imposter species out there!), it shouldn't matter what species you get. ;)
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #29 
Wendyjo

My mini bows are lasting forever. I don't use the filter that comes with them tho - I replace with one I like better. Same with the light bulb. But the tanks are nice looking and hold up very well. Whoever said they don't last long must be beating the heck out of it.

A 5g minibow runs $50-$60 altho you can sometimes find them on sale for a few dollars cheaper.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #30 
stellar981

Unhappy

So.... i got home and started noticing my fish is having trouble swimming throughout the tank. He tries to go downward, but then immediately floats. :( I tried doing a quick search and came across swim bladder. Does this sound accurate? Has anyone else experienced this, and what do I do? checked water conditions and everything is normal. Temp is fine. Steady at 79. What do I do?