Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #51 
Hidden Walrus

Actually, virtually any tropical plant can and will adapt to live rooted in an aquarium, which is effectively a well-oxygenated flowerpot full of fertilizer that never dries out. It's really an ideal way to grow many plants, not only peace lilies, bamboo, or pothos but many others as well. I have purple waffle plant, creeping fig, purple velvet plant, heartleaf philodendron, peace lily, syngonium, and aluminum plant (pilea) rooted directly in the tanks and I have some very long pothos vines that are potted in soil but which cross over the tank and are taking root in the water now too. I have also had great success with sweet potato vine, and only removed it because it grew too big - about an inch of stem and 2 inches of roots every day when it really got going!

The fish love hiding in the roots and it really helps mimic a natural riverbank environment like where the fish come from. The plants also pull up all the nitrogen and keep the water clean.
Hidden Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #52 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Many plants can do tnat. You are thinking of marsh plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #53 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
So can you elaborate on the plants take out the chemicals in the air please? I am curious.
There are a number of plants (I think we're talking non-aquatic here, right?) that filter out the air. One of them is Spider plants.
HEY! Chocolate- have you ever put a spider plantlet (AKA spider plant baby) in the filter? While it's best to plant them in the soil, you can also grow them in just water... I bet it would be cool, once you had some roots started, to grow a spider plant in a fish tank with its leaves above the water like you do with lucky bamboo... Maybe I'll try that in my tank. I have a monstrous spider plant in my cubicle at work. It has LOTS of plantlets still attached to it.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #54 
OrangeAugust

I also just realized I have a Pothos plant in my cubicle at work- two different types, actually (I have a lot of plants. hehe). I always forget the name of that one. You can grow that in a fish tank filter?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #55 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
There are a number of plants (I think we're talking non-aquatic here, right?) that filter out the air. One of them is Spider plants.
HEY! Chocolate- have you ever put a spider plantlet (AKA spider plant baby) in the filter? While it's best to plant them in the soil, you can also grow them in just water... I bet it would be cool, once you had some roots started, to grow a spider plant in a fish tank with its leaves above the water like you do with lucky bamboo... Maybe I'll try that in my tank. I have a monstrous spider plant in my cubicle at work. It has LOTS of plantlets still attached to it.
I think that they just do that to help grow roots not permenantly.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #56 
OrangeAugust

I've had one in just water for a few months and it's fine.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #57 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Some plants can take bad conditions for month and I am not 100 percent sure they rot.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #58 
kfryman

Actually I have seen someone growing a sweet potato in he tank, it was out in a greenhouse type thing, I think it was oriental or something. I do remember her saying she did have them in water though... or was it off to the side in a pot?

She had one next to the pond and one in the filter of another tank.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #59 
kfryman

Oh yeah, also on pothos, if you look there will be little brown stumps off of the stem/vine. If you cut below that, it will be fine since that is where roots will come from. So you can just cut a piece off your plant at work and stick it in the fish tank.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #60 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Actually I have seen someone growing a sweet potato in he tank, it was out in a greenhouse type thing, I think it was oriental or something. I do remember her saying she did have them in water though... or was it off to the side in a pot?

She had one next to the pond and one in the filter of another tank.
That us not actually worthy. That was hydroponics which is different.