Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
From what I've read: the prime ingredients will attach themselves to the ammonia to keep it non-toxic. It will not change back into ammonia. If you have a filter the non-toxic ammonia will be able to be used to create beneficial bacteria.
Okay so if you are cycling a tank, you won't get a sudden explosion of ammonia after 48 hours? The ammonia from the tap water and the ammonia that the fish made in that first 48 hours will never come back, right?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Then, AFTER the 48 hours, all you will have from that point on is the ammonia that the fish WILL make AFTER the 48 hours, right? (again, sorry this is really hard to put into words, lol. not trying to be rude.)
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #13 
ZergyMonster

It shouldn't, no. It is hard to test because ammonium will be detected by a master test kit for ammonia. What ever new ammonia is being created will have to be treated to remove it's toxicity but the pre-treated ammonia will remain non-toxic.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

So if I had a non-cycled tank, the only ammonia I would have to worry about is the ammonia the fish makes AFTER the 48 hours? And any ammonia that was in the water during that first 48 hours is history and will never bother my fish again? Even if I don't add another dose?

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 11-21-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #15 
ZergyMonster

I'm not entirely sure on the 48 hours but yes, the Prime will attach to any ammonia to detoxify it. I'm sure it is based more on the dose of Prime over the amount of time Prime has been in the water.
Says on the package that it is okay to over dose if ammonia has built up too quickly.

I will say though that if you're having ammonia problems I would suggest a water change before I would dose more Prime; but if you can't do a water change for any reason Prime can help delay until you can do a water change.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure on the 48 hours but yes, the Prime will attach to any ammonia to detoxify it. I'm sure it is based more on the dose of Prime over the amount of time Prime has been in the water.
Says on the package that it is okay to over dose if ammonia has built up too quickly.

I will say though that if you're having ammonia problems I would suggest a water change before I would dose more Prime; but if you can't do a water change for any reason Prime can help delay until you can do a water change.
I am not having an ammonia problem but I just basically want to know if I move somewhere where the tap water has ammonia and I set up a new tank, if Prime will make it so I don't have to worry about the tap water with ammonia in it.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #17 
ZergyMonster

The way I see water sources with ammonia is: if you use prime, it will detoxify the ammonia and remove the chlorine/chloramine. It will then start building up ammonia like a regular tank through natural causes(fish/food decay).

It is essentially the same if you didn't have ammonia in your water source where it will start clean and your ammonia will start building up.

The only difference is that your treated ammonia water will have more ammonium(which is non-toxic anyway) so your fish will not act any differently.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #18 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
The way I see water sources with ammonia is: if you use prime, it will detoxify the ammonia and remove the chlorine/chloramine. It will then start building up ammonia like a regular tank through natural causes(fish/food decay).

It is essentially the same if you didn't have ammonia in your water source where it will start clean and your ammonia will start building up.

The only difference is that your treated ammonia water will have more ammonium(which is non-toxic anyway) so your fish will not act any differently.
Okay, that's all I really wanted to know. Thank you so much Zergy, and thank you everyone for being patient with me. :)
Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Prime detoxifies ammonia (NH3) by turning it into ammonium (NH4) which is much LESS toxic (NOT non-toxic). At any pH over 6.5 the ammonium starts converting back to ammonia---slower at low pH, faster at high pH---hence the 24 to 48 hour caution.

There's a chart around here that shows the amount of free ammonia to ammonium at various pH. Ammonia is more toxic at high pH than at low pH.

Over at TFK, there's a discussion about using large doses of Prime to keep ammonia converted during cycling. I'll go see what's happening.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Prime detoxifies ammonia (NH3) by turning it into ammonium (NH4) which is much LESS toxic (NOT non-toxic). At any pH over 6.5 the ammonium starts converting back to ammonia---slower at low pH, faster at high pH---hence the 24 to 48 hour caution.

There's a chart around here that shows the amount of free ammonia to ammonium at various pH. Ammonia is more toxic at high pH than at low pH.

Over at TFK, there's a discussion about using large doses of Prime to keep ammonia converted during cycling. I'll go see what's happening.
Actually, it doesn't turn back into ammonia. The bond is not reversible. It explains it right here, under the third question:

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html

EDIT: Oh also kind of mentions it under the fourth question.