Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #151 
DragonFyre14

Wow. Although it is suggested that cory cats be in groups of 5, it isn't a requirement. they will be much happier in bigger groups but will do okay if there is only about 3. I think it's always better to have less fish in a school than it is to severely overstock a tank.

Actually, according to aqadvisor.com , and your current stocking list (if I am correct that would be 1 male betta splendens, 6 ghost shrimp, 1 apple snail, and 1 julii cory cat) you could safely add 5 more cories to your tank and even possibly a seventh (it would require a bit extra work). Just thought I'd let you know :) It appears your stocking is at about 63% it's not an exact science but it can help give a rough idea of the compatability of your aquatic creatures and an idea of how much space you have left in your tank :)
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #152 
Bluewind

I went on the site you mentioned (very cool by the way) and entered in my tank specks
20x10x11
AquaTech 5-15 filter

and my current stock
1x Betta (male)
1x Mystory Snail
8x Ghost Shrimp (look like I only lost 3! )
1x Julii Cory Cat

then I added Juliis. I top out at 4 total Juliis (ie. 3 more), but 5 total just pushes me over filtration, so it would be possible if I was dillagent. 6 or more wouldn't work.

Also, I am having to do a fish-in cycling and having a hard time keeping levels down (doing LOTS of water changes). There is no way my uncycled tank could handle a larger bioload yet. I'm hoping I get lucky and have it cycle (or at least mostly cycled) by Black Friday/Cyber Monday which is when I might be able to get a deal on more Juliis. Any tips?
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #153 
DragonFyre14

So, to keep levels down (as far as I know) there are two good ways to deal with it, Water changes, and plants. One way to speed up the cycle is to add more surface area to that tank. (like pieces of driftwood, more hiding places, etc) the more surface area there is, the more places the beneficial bacteria has to attach to and such.

I would suggest adding media from an already cycled tank, but seeing as your previous tank was so new I'm not sure how much of a chance the bacteria had to establish a colony... but if you haven't already, moving gravel and ornaments and stuff over (as long as they weren't aloud to dry out) should help some...

I've also heard raising the temperature on the tank will help the bacteria grow faster, just make sure not to increase it too fast or too far out of any of your fish's comfort range.

I'm not entirely sure how safe it would be with fish in the tank, but you could always add a live bacteria... Some of them get expensive though. Some of the good one's I've heard of are Seachem's Stability, Smart Start, and Bio Spira to name a few. some people swear by this and say it would be safe to use with fish in the tank, but personally I'm a bit skeptical on that. You could always use it on a bucket or other tank that has plenty of gravel (perhaps attach your filter into the tank or bucket you use the bacteria in as well) Most of these say they are overnight cyclers, but often don't do it that quickly.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #154 
Bluewind

My little tank was cycled and I did put everything from it into the larger one. I'm gonna take a water sample to PetSmart on Black Friday and hope I get lucky with my cycling progress.

I think I will get some Anubias (spelling?) or Water Sprite. They look and sound like they would work for me. Which one do yall think I should get?

The bacteria sounds kinda... worrisome. I think I'll stick with good old fashioned dillagance.

I read online that PetSmart is having some items on sale for Black Friday. I'm hoping all the items I want/need are included. If the price is right, I might be able to get more Juliis!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #155 
DragonFyre14

It sounds like you've had your ten gallon long enough, and have been doing pretty much everything to have it cycle. My guess is, it is cycled already (or very close).

I personally like Anubias, Water sprite is cool as well. I've heard of it typically used as a floating plant, but think I would opt to have it planted. You should definitely have enough room and be able to care for both.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #156 
Bluewind

Looks like PetSmart made my decision for me. They don't carry Water Sprites. I'm going to go there on Black Friday and hope I can get them for cheap. Wish me luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #157 
DragonFyre14

I might have to do the same thing....
Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #158 
Rachelk98

You Cant Trust Those Types Of Stores! Heres Why: When I Got My Fish Swimmy, He Looked Ok I Had Picked Out A Small Red One But It Looked Like It Was Hurt N A Fight So My Mom Picked A Blue One (swimmy) Out And I Loved Him! I Have Had Him For One Year 4 months! ily Swimmy!
Rachelk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #159 
DragonFyre14

Most of the places you go will have some sick or injured bettas. The petsmart near me actually takes decent care of their bettas and I have yet to find one where my response to looking at it is "that guy probably won't last too much longer"

On a side note, there was a pretty dalmation veiltail there yesterday. He looks like a cellophane but he could just have lost most of his color. either way he was pretty. :)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #160 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmysmommy View Post
You Cant Trust Those Types Of Stores! Heres Why: When I Got My Fish Swimmy, He Looked Ok I Had Picked Out A Small Red One But It Looked Like It Was Hurt N A Fight So My Mom Picked A Blue One (swimmy) Out And I Loved Him! I Have Had Him For One Year 4 months! ily Swimmy!
My Petco is great.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, betta, newbie, small tank, tankmate