Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #1 
JikoJiko

betta classification!!!>>>?????

Hello... These are my Juvenile Betta's... they are a little over 4 months... I believe most of these pictures of them are females... But I don't know If I am positive that one of them are.... My two males out of the batch immediately showed male dominance... while these are the ones that didn't and they looked dull.. so I guessed they were females and separated them out... into their own little containers. I need help on what type of Betta they are and If male or female.. I can't really see any White spot under them because they are very dull and whitish in color.. one of the other females are very dark and I can see her white spot... so I knew she was a female... and I can also tell most from tail, ventral fin structure...

>> They all came from these parents...

>> This one sometimes fools me.. I keep thinking it is a female.... though what if it is a male

>> This female is a sibling of the one above.. I am pretty sure this is a female.. Though would it be classified as a PLAKAT or VEILTAIL???

>> This is the another Sibling Female.... I Think this girl is a Veil tail...

>> Then another Sibling.. I believe its a MALE... could be a female... And what would it be Classified...??? Looks to me as a PLAKAT...
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Are they in the same tank? The 2 look double to me.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #3 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Are they in the same tank? The 2 look double to me.

I beg your pardon? Which two... or more precise which photo?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

To determine tail type, we need to know their parents (sorry short memory).

Betta #1: long finned female with 4 rays - probably round tail or delta - not clear.
#2: male green/turquoise, either delta or VT with wider than usual caudal.
#3,4,5 : female 2 rays. Probably round tail - not sure long/short finned.

This is one of the problems when crossing tail types - females are hard to identify.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
To determine tail type, we need to know their parents (sorry short memory).

Betta #1: long finned female with 4 rays - probably round tail or delta - not clear.
#2: male green/turquoise, either delta or VT with wider than usual caudal.
#3,4,5 : female 2 rays. Probably round tail - not sure long/short finned.

This is one of the problems when crossing tail types - females are hard to identify.
I think I posted this in Breeding section because after I posted this thread I thought it was in the wrong Section to thread it in...

.... well with someone with short term memory.. you are a great detector of this...
I will keep that in mind (females are hard to identify when crossing tails) when I do my future breeding's with my other Betta fishes.

Betta #1 Female: Round tail... when ever flaring the tail is more round... I thought Delta would be more tri-like...
Betta #2 Male: Has VT Looking tail and when flaring tail may still slide down like usual with VT but the tail spreads at almost 150 degrees.
>>>> Photo when tail was short from fighting... when it was housed with about 23 other males... in a 50 gallon... already mature at 6.3 months.

Betta #3 Female: Shes has four rays... sorry for the blurring picture of her... camera wouldn't find an object to capture... though because she is dull and peachy its hard to see in the photo... But she has 4 rays... I don't think the length of her fins are full yet... tail is recovering from fighting...

Betta #4 Female: Possible to get PK from its breeding parents? or more like VT with acception of certain features?

Betta #5 Female: Looks roundtail... is a round tail the same as a VT???

Betta #6 Male/Female: Has a box like anal fin... Smaller juvie compared to the others... so Just wanted to ask what you thought it was...

Last edited by JikoJiko; 11-21-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #6 
JikoJiko

I just released some of my females that I had photos in the beginning posts.. only two are left.. But I now think those are males... Because when I let Betta #3 out... Betta #5 and #3 started fighting... and wouldn't stop.. so I cupped Betta #3 again into "his" (I think) container. The #6 is pos. Male now... I have decided because it looked just like my other males when they were at "his" size. he also has a very dark head and then green solid metallic color down its body to the end of its tail.

I would need to Take some photos of my male siblings out of this batch for comparison... because they are a very diverse batch of Juveniles.

Also I think Betta #3 is male because Its back looks hunched and like muscle compared to the others that I know are females... My other two males are obvious that they are male... I think this Betta #3 got me confuse because of its peachy color... so it didn't darken up like the other two that have very dark heads..

Last edited by JikoJiko; 11-22-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JikoJiko View Post
I beg your pardon? Which two... or more precise which photo?
Nevermind for a second it looked like the male was in there.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #8 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Nevermind for a second it looked like the male was in there.

Oh ok... lol
Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I do love the male.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #10 
JikoJiko

Quote:
I do love the male.
OMG ... THanks...

I do wish his ANal fin would come out towards his Ventral fins more... When ever he flares his Anal fin touches his ventral fins but I would like it to spread alittle past the Ventral fins...

But his tail is long now and its like VT tail... just more squarish instead of like round..