Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #11 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Bettas are really hardy which may be a partial explanation for a relatively long life but I have seen quite a few people who give their bettas excellent homes with great conditions and their bettas are living into the 4+ lifespan. Some even go to 7 or 8! In the wild, bettas normally live up to that long, around 6-10 years. So giving a great home like many of the people on here, gives their bettas great lives :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsbok View Post
It is rather ironic though, considering how people on this forum can be downright nasty to newbies whose fish aren't living in the "ideal" conditions.
It may be ironic and also mean, but really these people here only want to do good and sometimes only see the fish without thinking of the owner. Sometimes I forget how I was like when I first got into bettas..
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #12 
DragonFish

I have actually read something on this recently.....so I think I should be able to solve this mystery for you.

From what I understand, your brother is right about the cooler water making them grow/age slower. The cooler temperatures slow down their metabolism, so in terms of just actual years, a betta has a better chance of living longer in a small, cold environment.
BUT, the cold water is stressful, compromises their immune system, and makes digesting food more difficult which poses a MUCH higher risk for disease and problems.

As far as the tank size goes....a lot of factors go into that. While a larger volume of water makes for a little more wiggle room, if it is properly set up and/or maintained its really not much better then a little bowl.
The tank could have been bare. The fish could not have been acclimated properly. If there was a filter it could have been too strong. If there was a heater, the fish may not have been properly acclimated to the new temperature, and if there wasn't well....you know. All sorts of things could have caused the betta stress, compromising his immune system and eventually leading to his demise.
Also, while a larger volume of water doesn't need as MUCH maintenance, it still needs maintenance at least weekly.

Bettas are very hardy fish, but think of it this way......would YOU rather live longer in a small, bare, cold, filthy room? Or would you rather live a year or two less in a comfortable, warm, clean house?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #13 
gemsbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLakerBetta View Post
It may be ironic and also mean, but really these people here only want to do good and sometimes only see the fish without thinking of the owner. Sometimes I forget how I was like when I first got into bettas..
Indeed. You'd think they'd learn after a while, though. :/
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #14 
Syriiven

I totally get your concern. I have a friend at work who has her betta in a 1g and hasn't been doing regular water changes, so I think that's why he's super lethargic. I did manage to convince her to start doing the regular changes and get him atleast a 2-2.5g and some hidy places and get him some pellets and worms.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Carter is 2.5 years old in his 10 gallon.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
I have actually read something on this recently.....so I think I should be able to solve this mystery for you.

From what I understand, your brother is right about the cooler water making them grow/age slower. The cooler temperatures slow down their metabolism, so in terms of just actual years, a betta has a better chance of living longer in a small, cold environment.
BUT, the cold water is stressful, compromises their immune system, and makes digesting food more difficult which poses a MUCH higher risk for disease and problems.

As far as the tank size goes....a lot of factors go into that. While a larger volume of water makes for a little more wiggle room, if it is properly set up and/or maintained its really not much better then a little bowl.
The tank could have been bare. The fish could not have been acclimated properly. If there was a filter it could have been too strong. If there was a heater, the fish may not have been properly acclimated to the new temperature, and if there wasn't well....you know. All sorts of things could have caused the betta stress, compromising his immune system and eventually leading to his demise.
Also, while a larger volume of water doesn't need as MUCH maintenance, it still needs maintenance at least weekly.

Bettas are very hardy fish, but think of it this way......would YOU rather live longer in a small, bare, cold, filthy room? Or would you rather live a year or two less in a comfortable, warm, clean house?
Cool water does not increase lifespan. Ideal temp range does.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #17 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Cool water does not increase lifespan. Ideal temp range does.
Based on what I've heard, in terms of years alone it does. With a slower metabolism caused by the cooler temperatures, a betta is slightly more likely to live a little longer.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

As long as it is in the ideal temp range.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #19 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
As long as it is in the ideal temp range.
....I don't think you're quite understanding what I'm explaining.

Lower temperatures=Slower Metabolism=Possibly longer lifespan because the fish grows/ages much slower.

In warmer tropical temperatures, the fish develops and grows and ages at a slightly quicker rate, meaning in terms of YEARS, it has a LESS CHANCE of living as long.

There are a LOT more contributing factors that go into it of course. Its not simple black and white. ;)
Old 11-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am telling a Betta will not be healthy out of tropical temps it will lower lifespan. Stress lowers lifespan.