Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #1 
lexiem

Exclamation Fish to Keep with Bettas in a Cycled tank

I currently keep my beta fish with two goldfish and a pleco. He hasn't been looking all that good so I started looking on the internet and now realize that he needs warmer water and less water flow and surface action than the goldfish. I feel terrible for my ignorance!! I want to move him to a new tank. I have a few questions about the process.

1. I have empty ten and twenty gallon tanks, which should I use?

2. How should I orchestrate the switch? I know it can be hard on them.

and lastly, I would like to be able to cycle the new tank like my goldfish tank. What kinds of tropical fish could I put in with my Betta that enjoy the same conditions and would allow for cycling to work?

Any help much appreciated :)
lexiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #2 
Myates

Glad to hear you are placing him in a different tank :) Two goldfish and a pleco needs 30+ gallons, the larger fish and tank would definitely be stressful on the betta, along with the different water needs..

Either of your extra tanks will be fine - a heater is a must with tropical fish.

Just cup him and float him in the new tank for about 30 minutes, every 10 minutes or so remove about a third of the water from the cup and replace it with water from the tank. That way he adjusts to both the temp and chemistry change.

As for tank mates - cories are good for bottom dwelling - 3+ are ideal as they are schooling fish.
Platies and sword tails make friendly tank mates.. 1 male per 2 females..
Some of the smaller schooling fish are okay, there is a chance that your betta may not like smaller schooling fish, but you won't know until you try. Sometimes they can be fin nippers, but most of the time they are fine - like cardinal tetras or rasboras, etc. Clown fish are pretty and peaceful bottom dwellers.. love those things. Some dwarf cichlid species are very docile as well that can live peacefully in a community aquarium.

What you are wanting to stay away from are the larger tetras and barbs - those tend to nip fins quite a bit, the barbs tend to be aggressive- so no tiger barbs or rosy barbs. No to gouramis, as they are labyrinth breathers as well and can be quite territorial. Danios are quite active and tend to stress some bettas out.

One betta is enough to cycle the tank - if you want, you can use a rock or an ornament from your established tank to help jump start the cycle. Also keep in mind, the more plants and hiding places the more comfortable all your fish will be when co-existing in a tank together. So as long as it's not bare, and with peaceful fish everything will be fine.

On a side note- tetras and danios and such are peaceful fish, but with the long fins of a male betta, it can become too tempting to munch on them.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #3 
lexiem

The tank he's in right now is 30 gallons, so glad to know thats okay for my other fish for now. The pleco is still very small.

I never thought about the fact that just the beta alone would be enough to cycle it.. I guess it makes sense though. What would he be happiest with? I've read on here that they like being alone! I think he'll be lonely, but that could just be me projecting human emotions onto a fish.

Also- one more thing, what should I be feeding him? Right now he's getting goldfish flakes which I'm coming to understand is not right. Who knew it was so complicated!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #4 
Myates

Wild bettas can go months without seeing another.. but often times these domesticated ones do like company and can be quite social both with us and with other fish. So anything that isn't going to chase him around too much would be fine.. most live bearers are good with bettas, the smaller grouping tetras, bottom dwellers.. I say put him in the 20 gallon, get 3 cories, 2 clown loaches, a couple platties or swordtails, dwarf cichlids and him.. make it nicely planted and he would love it, along with the other fish. Each betta is different in what they prefer, and each owner is too.. but generally it's up to the betta's tolerance whether or not he wants tank companions.

If you go with the 10 gallons, then 3 or 4 cories with a few platies or similar size fish would work.

Betta pellets are idea.. but since he is used to eating flakes you can give him flakes made for bettas - which can be hard sometimes. It can be tropical, but you will want to make sure the first ingredient is fish or meat meal, or some type of meat/fish product. Whereas goldfish are more herbivores, bettas are insectivores/carnivores and need more meat.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #5 
lexiem

Oh perfect, thanks for the detailed advice on fish selection! Would the other fish be okay with the betta flakes/pellets or would I have to get other food for them too? If you know. Also, do bettas like any veggies snacks like goldfish do? Or do they not dig the veg scene at all?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #6 
mahi

Since you already have a cycled tank I would move some gravel or ornaments or plants over to the new tank. This transfers the bacteria and makes cycling faster and safer for the fish.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

In fact splitting the established filter media between the two tanks would make cycling even faster (monitor your 30g for minicycle).

My Platys like NLS grow, a small high-protein Betta pellet. They're insectivores, too. But I also leave an algae tab in there for them to munch.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
The tank he's in right now is 30 gallons, so glad to know thats okay for my other fish for now. The pleco is still very small.

I never thought about the fact that just the beta alone would be enough to cycle it.. I guess it makes sense though. What would he be happiest with? I've read on here that they like being alone! I think he'll be lonely, but that could just be me projecting human emotions onto a fish.

Also- one more thing, what should I be feeding him? Right now he's getting goldfish flakes which I'm coming to understand is not right. Who knew it was so complicated!
Plecos and goldfish are a no. Common plecos need 75 gallon tanks. Depends on strain fir goldfish and species for pleco. Plecos are tropical and goldfish are not. Cories need schools if 5.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #9 
LeoTheLakerBetta

I would be careful with that ten gal. It is easy to overstock that size since many of the fish compatible with bettas like to be in larger groups. With a 20 gallon that you say you have, it would give more room for your fish and would be easier to fit the right amount of fish for each species. :)
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would say in a twenty bronze cories in a ten pygmy cories.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycled tank, new tank, tank mates, tank size