betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

With fin rot there are black edges.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #22 
Imagine

I've heard that flakes aren't that bad, as long as they have plenty of protein and the bettas aren't fed too much. Pellets ARE much better though, since it is easier to control how much they eat and there is a less chance of bloat. and if you can you should pick some up (I suggest the brands New Life Spectrum and omega One). If your bettas refuse to eat pellets, make sure you give them a high quality flake (like omega one betta buffet flakes).

I also think it is tail-biting, it looks to clean IMO for fin rot. Try holding a mirror up to him (letting him flare) once a day to prevent boredom. Also put some aquarium salt in his tank to heal the tail biting.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #23 
Chris430

those are two of the brands ive tried, and that is the flakes i use :)

ill have to take the snail out for salt i know that. how about the ghost shrimp? can they make it through a little salt? is it one teaspoon per gallon? you may not know, but do you think my mystery snail can make it in a 40 thats only had guppies and cories for a couple weeks, or would i be better off plugging the 3 gallon i just took the other betta out of and letting him stay in there til theres something for him?
Chris430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #24 
Wendyjo

I'm not even sure he could reach that particular fin in order to bite it?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #25 
Chris430

update- after thinking and worrying and wondering all day, i have come up with another possible cause. his ornaments! >_< i felt like each one was soft, and most i checked on nylon. but most were not actually made for bettas, just seemed to work. i feel really awful now, but i immediately took out everything that might have caused it, then added a silk plant in because it was pretty naked. i need to get to walmart asap for some salt and the same big soft rubber plant i keep in my other betta's tank, but with today being thanksgiving, im not sure black friday crowds will even allow the trip.

he does not seem to be sick over it, and is actually playing in the filter right now. in case anyone is as worried sick as i was all night at work
Chris430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What is the first ingredient I your flakes? It should be meat.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #27 
gemsbok

Honestly, flakes aren't the problem here. There's nothing wrong with feeding flakes. It's just a little harder to control how much he eats vs pellets. 5-6 is too many, IMO.

Back to the issue at hand, it's possible that he's finbiting or ripping his fins on the decorations in his tank. It's also possible that one of the "ghost shrimp" is actually a different species which preys on fish called macrobrachium. The juveniles of that species look a lot like ghost shrimp. If I were you, I'd look over all your shrimp to be sure they really are what they claim to be. :P Here's an old thread about the differences: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=68672

Last edited by gemsbok; 11-22-2012 at 10:41 AM.
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It seems like with flakes the first ingredient is wheat or another grain.